Friday, August 7, 2015

Reading Schedules: Yay or Nay?

A little while ago, Allie @ Little Birdie Books asked if reading schedules suck the fun out of reading. At the time, I commented, saying,
I have the same problem! I buy a bunch of books simply because I want to read them, but then I request books for free that look interesting. Then I have to read those books BEFORE I can get to the ones I wanted so much I was willing to buy them. It can be kind of a pain, but thus is the dilemma of blog tours. At least those typically have an HTML already for you that I've just got to stick my review in. I think if I'd use Excel, I'd lose my mind, because I'd always forget to add some book. 
But now I've been thinking about it a little more, and I've decided to give schedules a try. Why the change of heart? They give order. With so many books in the world, how do you know what to read next? I usually have 4+ going at a time, so it takes me forever to finish one. On the other hand, becoming too obsessed with reading the right book at the right time defeats the purpose of reading and reviewing for fun. I don't get paid for this--I spend money on it!

Hence, I've come up with a plan. If it doesn't work for me, I'll throw it away. First, I made a list of the different formats of books. Here's what I came up with:

  1. Audio
  2. Netgalley/blog tours
  3. Purchased e-book copies
  4. Purchased print copies (hardcover or soft)
  5. Library
  6. Subscriptions (love Uppercase Box!)
  7. Other. I don't really know what fits in here, but I have a feeling I'll find out soon.
Then I divided them up per week.

First week of the month: Netgalley/blog tours. I've always had a problem trying to finish blog tour books a few days before I'm scheduled to have an opinion on them, so hopefully this will help. Now I'll read and review them right away, and post the reviews whenever I'm supposed to.

Second week: library. Usually when I get books at the library, they hang around in my room for a while before I return them because FINES. If I have a week dedicated to reading these, maybe I actually will.

Third week: subscription week. I signed up for Uppercase box in June, and I'm only now reading The Wrath and the Dawn! I still have July's book to read too, and soon August's. Since the books ship on the 15th of every month, I think this will work out.

Fourth week of the month: purchased book week. THIS I'm very excited about. As I told Allie, the books I give so much priority to that I'm willing to buy generally are at the bottom of my list. No more! (The fact that it's the last week of the month has no bearing on how much I love the books I buy.)

And there you have it! Sprinkled throughout will be audio books or really long ones that take more than a week to read. These are just guidelines for me, not rules. I can't wait to see how this goes.

Comment: do you have a reading schedule? Why or why not?

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... I get most of the books I read from libraries. What works for me is to put the books I am most interested in at the bottom of the stack and order them "best to worst" that way, I have something to look forward to and keep the books moving. But this is also because I sometimes get out like 30 books and its easy to leave one somewhere :)

    Sort of off topic, but I cant be the only one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I, too have an insane amount of books in my room. I always end up trying to read them all at one time and basically failing.

      Delete