Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Magician's Dream

The Magician's Dream (Oona Crate Mystery, #3)The Magician's Dream by Shawn Thomas Odyssey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I hardly remember anything about this at all.
A break-in at the museum, mysterious visitors to the grand new library, and a cute guy that Oona is just beginning to notice provide obstacles, distraction, and aid as Oona navigates her way among the politics of her wizard neighbors to discover who is to blame in the latest Oona Crate mystery. 
What I liked:

1. The general idea. As someone pointed out in a review of The Magician's Tower, it's kind of like Harry Potter: A magic world corresponding with the "real" world. Here, however, that world was in the 1800s, which was neat.

What was meh:

1. The characters. I did enjoy Oona (her name fits her perfectly) but she and the others felt shallow. And why are police characters ALWAYS idiots? Really?

What I didn't like:

1. The world building. Grant it, I haven't read the other books in the series, so this is probably just my faulty opinion.

2. The plot was loose and full of holes. I read and reviewed it in August 2014 though, which is probably why the writing felt like a rough draft. It is. Apparently all of the books in the series have typos though....

Am I eager to read the other books in the series? Not really. I wouldn't complain if I did though: Oona is a fun narrator.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment