Saturday, May 16, 2015

Lola Carlyle's 12-Step Romance

Lola Carlyle's 12-Step RomanceLola Carlyle's 12-Step Romance by Danielle Younge-Ullman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have no idea when this book will be published. On Netgalley, it says the pub date was in November, but on GoodReads it says this just released. Maybe Netgalley had the dates switched up.

Thanks you, Netgalley and Entangled Publishing, for this free book to review!
Lola Carlyle is lonely, out of sorts, and in for a boring summer. So when her best friend Sydney calls to rave about the fun she’s having at a luxurious Malibu rehab (it’s basically a spa!) and reveals that the love of Lola’s life, Wade Miller, is being admitted, Lola knows what she has to do. Never mind that her worst addiction is decaf cappuccino; Lola is going to rehab. Lola fakes her way into Sunrise Rehab, only to discover she’s actually expected to be an addict. And get treatment. And she has insane roommates, and an irritatingly attractive intake advisor, Adam, who’s determined to thwart her at every turn. Worst of all is the strictly enforced NO ROMANCE rule.  Oh, and Sydney? Is gone.  Turns out Sunrise is more jail-like than spa-like, and it’s going to take more than Lola bargained for just to get through the program. 
I really liked Lola. She's honestly trying to do the right thing, but she manages to mess it up every single time. I related to her on multiple levels, except I've never lied my way into rehab for a guy I hardly knew!

My main issue with this book is how little it portrayed emotions and rehab life. I mean, the people there were really messed up, but the serious problems were never fully addressed. While Adam sure had a ton of chemistry with Lola, all of the other characters fell flat, especially Wade.

Also, I'm really confused about Lola's friend, Sydney. Maybe she will be explained more in the final version of the book, but frankly I never understood what was going on with her. Why would she try to convince Lola to get into rehab when Lola was fine?

Overall, it was really funny, but it's about a girl who lied her way into rehab. That's kind of a big deal.

View all my reviews

Grading:
Sexual content: C.
Language: C?
Notes: So, I wrote this review months ago, but I still remember not liking it that much, even though my review seems mainly positive. I kind of wish I hadn't wasted my time reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment