Thursday, April 23, 2015

Cress

Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)Cress by Marissa Meyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

YES now I can finally read Fairest!
Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and prevent her army from invading Earth.

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl trapped on a satellite since childhood who’s only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s being forced to work for Queen Levana, and she’s just received orders to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is splintered. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a higher price than she’d ever expected. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai, especially the cyborg mechanic. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has. 
Just like in Scarlet, I'm pretty conflicted about the writing. It was so cheesy, but there was a ton of good banter too. Especially this part, blatantly stolen from Tangled:

“Captain?"
"Yeah?"
"Do you think it was destiny that brought us together?"
He squinted and, after a thoughtful moment, shook his head. "No. I'm pretty sure it was Cinder.”
Something brought you here fate, destiny, a horse funny Tangled scene
Still, there's the perfect balance between lightheartedness and, well, the opposite, especially in the end. The stakes are high. I laughed. I cried. I am beyond excited for the last book, Winter, because the main character's mental state deteriorates throughout the course of the book, and call me crazy, but I love an insane character. I've always wanted to read about one.

Annnnnnyyyyway, yes, this review does have a little to do with Cress. Thorne isn't quite so one dimensional here, and while Cress's inability to save herself got a little annoying, it also made sense. I mean, she's lived on a satellite for seven years. She's not exactly a warrior, and that's okay. She still pulls her weight by being the technician.

I love the worldbuilding too, like the reason why they can have hovercrafts in the future. It's because their roads have magnets, and I guess so do their cars. It's pretty awesome.

View all my reviews

Grading:
Violence: B
I don't remember anything else, but Marissa Meyer is pretty good with all these.

2 comments:

  1. No offense but that does not sound like a book i'd enjoy... : )
    I'm sorry about my blog and how I haven't posted in soooo long! Hopefulyy since Track season is winding down and coming to a close I can blog more. I did track and my team took home second place at the conference meet : ). Btw a cool author is like is named Douglas Preston. Check him out if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job with the track season! I just looked up Douglas Preston, and dang, he's written a lot of books! Which ones have you read?

      Delete