Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Scarlet

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Scarlet's grandma is the ultimate cool old lady, just sayin'.
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the best-selling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison — even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life.

When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.
I'm so torn about this book. On one hand, so much was cliche. Thorne is your classic Han Solo type--apparently he's going to be Flynn in the Rapunzel retelling. Ugh. I like Flynn much more than Thorne. Also, half the diologue was forced, cheesy, and redundant. The other half was awesome though! There's some really good banter within the couples (Scarlet + Wolf and Cinder + Thorne, even though theirs isn't romantic).
Walt Disney Animation Studios animated GIF

Not much happens plot-wise, just a lot of traveling, because for some reason Cinder decides to go to France instead of Africa, where nice Dr. Erland is waiting. Okay, yeah, he likes to withhold secrets as long as he can, and sometimes he believes the ends justice the means. But at least he's not out to kill her, right? Unlike EVERYONE IN FRANCE except Scarlet. C'mon, Cinder.
Walt Disney Animation Studios animated GIF
She's supposed to stay hidden!
The "wolves" were so cool though! I read this book after reading The Queen's Army, which is free online, so I already knew Wolf's backstory. How did he manage to keep his...sweetness, despite everything he went through? That isn't really explored.

And Kai...oh Kai. He made an awful decision at the end which cannot possibly fix anything. He's only putting off a larger war, instead of a sooner, probably easier World War 5 that won't end in the imminent destruction of every country like what he's advancing toward now. Gah. :P He is in a hard place though, and when his POV started I was like, "No! My baby!" Poor Kai.
I really hope Kai doesn't have facial hair. That would destroy my image of him.
Despite my teetering, I'm still going to read the rest of the series, since Kai and Cinder are so awesome. And yes, I also just want to be in on the hype. And when Marissa Meyer isn't being cliche, I really love reading her books. Her writing is mostly to the point, and I appreciate that. It turns out that the last book probably won't actually be 800 pages, so...yeah. Thank goodness. No book needs to be that long.

By the way, I absolutely recommend the audio book version--I've always had good luck with narrators, and Rebecca Soler's voice was no exception.

View all my reviews

Grading:
Violence: B or C
Language: B

5 comments:

  1. Well, you know, plenty of people are remarkably sweet even having gone through a bad time. Circumstances don't define someone, only their actions. And hey, don't run down long books! Deathly Hallows was well over 700 pages, after all, and there are some characters you'd like to spend as much time with as possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish the author had gone into why Wolf stayed good. For his parents? For himself? Just because? I love knowing motives.

      As much as I adore Deathly Hallows, some of her other books could have been much shorter, especially Goblet of Fire. :P The ending made up for it though.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I understand! But it would seem to me that one would have to far more explain motives for doing something evil than doing something good. I liked Goblet of Fire's length, so I think that panders to taste a little bit. :)

      Delete
  2. I like this book a lot am reading Cress now. I like Thorne a little better in that. Great review:) LOVED your big hero 6 gifs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love looking up GIFs. :)

      I just ordered the audio book of Cress, so I can't wait to get started!

      Delete