Tuesday, March 3, 2015

If Only This Book Were Silent

SilenceSilence by Deborah Lytton
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I gave up at 50%.

Thanks anyway, Netgalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing!
Love is blind, but it's also deaf. Stella was born to sing. Someday Broadway. Even though she's only a sophomore at a new high school, her voice has given her the status as a "cool kid." But everything changes when a tragic accident renders her deaf. She can't hear herself sing not to mention speak. She can't hear anything. Silence. What happens when everything you've dreamed of and hoped for is shattered in a single moment?

Enter Hayden, the boy with blond curls who stutters. He's treated like an outcast because he's not "normal." And, yet, Stella feels an attraction to him that she can't explain. As Hayden reaches out to help Stella discover a world without sound, his own tragic past warns him to keep a distance. But their connection is undeniable. Can the boy who stutters and the girl who's deaf ever find a happily-ever-after? Silence is a story of friendship and hope with a lesson that sometimes it takes a tragedy to help us find and appreciate beauty and love in unexpected places.
I tried, I really did. But I just can't handle it any more. Stella is so overdramatic; she's deaf, not mute! She can talk just fine, so why does she say that she can't sing? Going to Broadway sure wouldn't be easy, but since she gave up on her dream right away, I didn't get the impression that it actually meant that much to her. Just because she may not be able to make money off her singing, doesn't mean she no longer has vocal cords.

And then there's Hayden. Apparently, Stella can read his lips (and no one else's, not even her mom's or sister's) because he stutters, causing him to speak slowly.

Wouldn't stuttering make him harder to read though? It just didn't make sense, and because they had such normal conversations, I never got the impression that she was actually deaf.

Also, their "connection" when they first met was so strong I was seriously wondering if this was actually a paranormal novel.

Hayden is so...girly. Being sensitive doesn't equal acting like a girl! Also, since when do guys smell good? Grant it, I don't usually sniff people (she was able to smell him because Hayden LEANED ACROSS HER in the car, just so he could roll down her window. Back off, idiot), so maybe I wouldn't know. But he smells like coconuts, has a perfectly clean car, and analyzes texts the way a girl would. I'm not saying guys can't do these things, I'm just saying nothing about him felt realistic. Seriously: guys do not smell good.

Even though I couldn't stand this book, it did keep me hooked and I stuck out for half of it. Plus, I'm the first reviewer to say anything negative, so maybe you would like this book, even though I didn't.

View all my reviews

Grading:
Language: I think A
Sexual content: A

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jullie. I haven't posted on your blog for awhile due to school and Track practice. It was raining cats and dogs today! My clothes were damp and the rith is I could not stop thinking of the girl in front of me. : ) she somehow Hs a fit body, the type a girl who lives to run all the time has. She's a impresaive runner vs me who is the newbie on the track team. : ). My leg is soaked with blood from skin getting irritated by damp clothing. I feel alone right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is fairly pretty but there's no way I'm telling her that. A boy asked her to be is GF yesterday and she slapped him in the face and then said "No!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reeeally tempted to try it because I'm writing a book about a deaf girl and I need all the research help I can get! Although I DO agree with you that lip-reading would be hopelessly hard for a stutterer. How could you even manage it? And why could she only lip-read for one person? SO CONFUSING. I'm adding it on Goodreads but I shall be very very cautious. XD
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lip reading is a very interesting thing, as well as singing as a deaf person. I have quite a few friends who are deaf, since my original course of study was to be a sign language interpreter (until I switched to journalism). One friend of mine could lip read her mother, and no one else, another could lip read from only a few people, including me. It depends on basically everything, although slower talking does make it easier for folks to lip read. As for singing - some deaf people are able to talk, but singing is especially hard because they have trouble controlling the pitch. Most deaf people who talk end up speaking in a monotone because they simply cannot control how high or low their voice goes. Naturally, because they can't hear it, and it's difficult to distinguish what different pitches feel like.

      That being said, I know absolutely nothing about the book, so I can't say anything about that. BUT, I hope this will help y'all understand the lip reading/singing confusion. :)

      The Starving Inspired
      The Starving Inspired

      Delete
    2. I don't know any deaf people, so I am certainly not an expert by any means! I just thought it was strange how she was able to perfectly understand a guy she'd just met, instead of people she'd known her whole life. But I'd just assumed she could mostly control her pitch, but I can see I was wrong. However, the main character had an upcoming surgery that was supposed to heal her completely. I didn't get far enough to know if it did, but it was annoying to read about someone who gave up on her dream right away, especially since all her doctors were confident about the surgery.

      Thanks for commenting, Iris! Taking a sign language class must have been fascinating.

      Delete