Thursday, March 19, 2015

Finding the Rebelution

Thanks to Go Teen Writers' Linky Party, I looked around at the different blogs who entered their favorite posts. One that stood out to me was Rcubed's post asking why the junior section at Kohls wants teens to dress as hippies. I'd found one of Rcubed's blogs before, but for some reason I didn't follow. Maybe I thought I was following plenty of blogs already? Ha! I'm following a ton now and I'm glad to add Random Rants to the list.

Anyway, I checked out her "Writing Creds" page and found out that she'd written posts for The Rebelution. I'd heard about it before, although at the time I had only gone to the front page and didn't take the time to read anything. I just got the gist of it and got out of there.

A website about teens doing big things? Yeah right. It was probably full of kids saying, "Look what i did!!!! i'm da bomb" for doing the smallest things. It's was probably very patronizing too--"Aw, look at all these teens, trying to rise above people's perceptions about them! How cute."

This time around though, I actually checked it out, because Rcubed mentioned that one of her posts was more controversial--and lets's face it, humans love controversy. It's called I Go to Public School, and I Like It. Check it out, since it's awesome.

After reading a post like that, I decided to look for more good ones. I soon discovered that the "good ones" encompassed basically their entire website. Have you ever wondered what's the difference between working hard and being obsessed? Does Jesus love you? And when should you stop helping a person? Also, one of my favorites: Forget everything you know about the teen brain.

So it turn out I'm not the only teen who actually wants to make her own decisions. It often feels like that though. After all, I'll be going to college in the fall, and I'm only fifteen. While this doesn't necessarily make me smarter than everyone else in my sophomore class, it does mean I'm not drinking the kool-aid. (By the way, I hardly know what the phrase means. I think it fits this situation, but don't take me totally seriously. And if you know why it's affiliated with Kool-Aid instead of lemonade, please let me know.) I'm moving out a kid-like atmosphere! I'm moving foooooorward and I'm scared and excited.

And yet, when I first found out about other teens who want to do "older" things, I made the same freakin' assumptions about them as people do to me. I'm a teen too! I am not in my thirties. People think I'm an idiot because I'm a teen, and I thought teens were idiots because they were teens. I excluded myself, of course. After all, surely I'm an exception to every rule.

Yeaaaah...no.

If someone didn't do the homework, I got annoyed. Like, toughen up. It's not that hard. But then when there was homework I struggled with or just plain didn't like (such as timelines in history--blah), surely the problem wasn't with me! The kind teacher just accidentally assigned something very stupid.

And that's probably not true. Definitely not true.

I have a lot of things to work on in the school area (how do people study, anyway? Figuring that out before college may be helpful. Simply remembering everything can only go so far.)

I clearly also need to look past first impressions and my own preconceptions.

7 comments:

  1. OMGoodness! I didn't realize that Rcubed wrote that post! (I read it before and I loved it, I just didn't realize she wrote it) XD

    BTW, are you doing NaNoWriMo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Here's my profile: http://campnanowrimo.org/campers/julia2012. Maybe we can be friends? :)

      I can't decide if I should begin a new novel or edit my Swan Lake retelling. I better make up my mind fast! :P

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you found the Rebelution blog! Isn't it great? The book, "Do Hard Things" is really awesome to, and you should totally read it. I read it last year, and it's really inspiring. Which reminds me, I really need to snap out of it and work harder to do hard things, like my homework, right now... XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to work harder on my writing. :P I have so many books to read though! At least a dozen are within five feet of me. I wish I had gotten Do Hard Things from Netgalley as well, but I didn't. :P

      Delete
  3. I knew about the Rebelution blog from reading the book "Do Hard Things," and I do like checking in from time to time, but it's a little too conservative for my taste, so I've sort of left that area behind. Still, I'm glad you took the time to investigate and corrected the misconception! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Do Hard Things on Netgalley, but I didn't pick it up. I wish I had. :P I don't agree with 100% of The Rebelution's ideas, but finding other teens who actually talk about tough things is awesome.

      Delete
  4. I definitely agree with the ideology behind The Rebelution, but like Heather, I feel as though I have moved beyond that area. I'm so happy that these posts have got you thinking introspectively. I just read Rcubed's post and it was pretty great.

    I really enjoyed your post! The bit about being annoyed with people who don't do the work, yet giving yourself a free pass, really resonated with me.

    ReplyDelete