Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Ergo, I Quit

That moment when you quit on a book you've worked on for about a year.
Running Through the Stars

I'm referring to my Jane Eyre retelling. You know, the one I blog about all the time.

Some people call their books their babies. I love babies. I do not love my book.

The only reason why I began it at all is because I liked the idea and I knew it could sell. Retellings are "the thing" this year, just like dystopians were super popular before (and still are, of course, but now retellings are claiming the fame). A modern Jane Eyre retelling? A moral protagonist within a fresh setting? Yes please! It's a book I would read, so I made it a book I would write.

I do like my main character, Josie, a little bit. She's independent and proud, but in the end she learns to say she's sorry while not losing her confidence in herself, even if she reacted too strongly that one time. But I really don't care that much about her. If she went at my school, we probably wouldn't be besties. She'd be fun to hang out with, but not someone to really talk to.

I had a lot of fun transitioning the old English setting into a modern American one. Instead of being a governess for Mr. Rochester's child, Josie is a foster kid at the Fairfax-Rochesters'. So that was fun.

There's a thin line between simply not getting the fuzzy feelings for something and truly not caring. I don't get super emotional about many things (and when I do, I usually shouldn't), but that doesn't mean I don't care. I may not be as enthusiastic as my friends are about their plans, but that doesn't mean I don't support them. It can be hard to get me excited.

There's a thin line between the two, but I think I crossed into apathy toward Permanent Ink a long time ago, even though I like the title. I don't owe my book anything. I don't need to apologize for not writing. It's like apologizing on your blog when I haven't updated it in a while. You own your blog, you blog should not own you. Take a break if that's what you want! Your readers won't get angry, I swear. Although I do feel bad for wasting the time of my critique partners, but I guess I can remember what they pointed out and apply it to whatever I do next.

Because this doesn't mean I want out of the publishing industry--heck no! I have put too much interest in it to sever my ties. I'd love to be an editor at a publishing company. I'm good at noticing flaws, getting emotionally invested in other people's characters, and staring book covers (yep). And I'm not done writing either. I have a Swan Lake retelling I might like (I haven't touched it since I finished the rough draft last November, so I don't remember. I did at the time though). I have another idea dancing in my head.

Come to think of it, listening to Owl City's "This Isn't the End" while writing this post was prooooooobably not the greatest idea. I may get back to Permanent Ink some day (maybe tomorrow--my brain is fickle), but for now, I think I'll take a break. And that's okay.

8 comments:

  1. Not only is it okay, but really, if you're not loving what you're writing, you shouldn't be writing it! If you don't love it, no one else will. Don't rush yourself, do exactly what you're doing. Take a break! Let the right ideas come to you, don't force them. This is a good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ria. :) The break's been pretty nice, and I've been focusing on what to write for Camp NaNoWriMo. I'm thinking about a much more fleshed out version of my old Sajti and Thalace story, since I do like the idea behind it.

      Delete
  2. too bad. I have good news though... I am 1,000 words short of having a novelette. I am at the ending cause I'm out of ideas but I am gonna finish the thing with a conclusion. I am so excited!!! Once I get it ebook form , jullie, will you please read and review it! That'd be the greatest honor my novelette could get! Thanks!-Evan. Oh yes, my friend now follows you I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to figure out what my policy is for reviewing books by people I know. In one hand, I'd like to help them in any way I can, but on the other hand, if I don't like it, it'd be pretty awkward. I want to keep my reviews honest, and that would be hard to do if it's by someone I know. Good luck though!

      Delete
  3. I almost forgot. Clothing and video ads are clutering your site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that! Try viewing it in an incognito window on Google Chrome. That's what I do when there are adds, and it always helps me.

      Delete
  4. I know exactly how you feel. I've done this before, and I don't regret it. I was getting bogged down by the story, and I started to loath it to the point that I didn't want to think about it anymore. And don't worry, I don't think it was a waste of my time reading your story. (-: I really enjoyed it, and it actually helped me become better at critiquing stories, which is a useful skill for a writer to have. Good luck with your writing, and if you ever want to brainstorm or need a second opinion on something, just IM me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! I'm working on a fantasy now for Camp NaNo, which I know is your expertise. :) I can't wait to finish the rough draft and edit it so I can send it to you. You're pretty awesome at critiquing.

      Delete