Sunday, February 8, 2015

What's in a Name?

I've finally come up with a title for my Jane Eyre retelling! At first it was called When I Depart, but that feels very old and boring. Now, it's Permanent Ink, because Josie is an artist.

I came up with that title while my little brothers were watching Jake and the Neverland Pirates.
Definitely not my favorite kid show (which is Special Agent Oso, in case you're wondering), but in this particular episode they were looking for a skeleton key or something. That got me thinking about keys and locks. What if there was a lock with no key to open it? I thought about renaming my retelling A Lock Without a Key, in reference to Josie's closed heart, but the thing is, she does open it. Not necessarily right away, but often enough that the title wouldn't work.

How I moved from that to Permanent Ink is beyond me, but at least I did. I like this title.

How did I come up with When I Depart though? I think it's because I was considering to write a series that included retellings of the other Bronte sisters' books, but I don't think that's going to work out. If it had, though, their titles would all be like, When I Come or When We Dance or something that includes "When", a pronoun, and a verb.

Frankly, I love prepositional phrases as titles. When you use them like my Bronte example above though, people often mess them up. For example, I love the title By Darkness Hid (SURPRISE!) and can remember which book gets which title, but often people comment on my blog and use different prepositions. I know what they're talking about, of course, but authors need to be careful when picking their titles to avoid confusion.

Personally, I adore titles that include stars. The Fault in Our Stars, Starry Nights, This Star Won't Go Out, and Written in the Stars (which I actually preordered--I can't wait for it to come out in March!) are some of my favorites. It implies that the book may fantasize about stars, so count me in!
Running Through the Stars
Now here are my questions for you! One, what are some of your favorite titles? Two, and this is somewhat unrelated, what are you supposed to do when you buy a boxed set of books? Do you keep the box on the shelves, or take the books out and throw the box away?

9 comments:

  1. I love stars (especially in book covers) as well, and title for my novel (at present) is Seeing by the Starlight. I would love for it to be the first in a trilogy, but if I want that to happen I really need to get to work! :P
    If I wrote a trilogy, the second would be Trekking in the Twilight and the third would be Fading from the Moonlight. (I already know what each book will be about) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOSH I LOVE THOSE TITLES. And they're easy to tell apart because the first one has the Ss, the second one the Ts, and the third one doesn't alliterate. That is seriously awesome.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I really like them too, and I'm just hoping I don't have to change them for any reason. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the title Permanent Ink so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost squealed when I saw it... :P

      Delete
    2. Aw, thanks! I'm trying to teach myself to draw so I'll understand my main character more. :P It's hard to sit down and just draw. I always what to do something I know I'm already good at.

      Delete
  3. When you are done with draft #1 please email it to me so I can read it.
    I will give my opinion. If you want it. I should get back to writing. I've been so busy though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Permanent Ink" sounds pretty cool. "When I Depart" was nice too, although I do agree that it sounds antique.Blessings!

    http://teensliveforjesus.blogspot.ru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like Permanent Ink because it reminds me more of who Josie is.
      God bless!

      Delete