Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Inherit Midnight

Inherit MidnightInherit Midnight by Kate Kae Myers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Amazing Race meets YA!

Thank you, Netgalley and Bloomsbury USA, for this free book to review!
The Competition:

Outlandishly wealthy Grandmother VanDemere has decided to leave her vast fortune to the family member who proves him or herself worthiest-by solving puzzles and riddles on a whirlwind race around the globe, from the mines of Venezuela to the castles of Scotland. There will be eight competitors, three continents . . . and a prize worth millions.

The Players:


Seventeen-year-old Avery is the black sheep of the VanDemere clan, the ostracized illegitimate daughter. Finally, she has a chance to prove herself . . . and to discover the truth about her long-lost mother.

Marshall might be Avery's uncle, but there's no love lost between the two of them. He's her main competition, and he'll do anything to win-including betray his own children.

Riley is the handsome son of Grandmother VanDemere's lawyer. As the game progresses, Avery falls hard for Riley. Suddenly, losing the game might mean losing him, too. 

As the competition takes treacherous turns, it becomes clear there can only be one victor. Who can Avery truly trust? And is winning worth her life?
SO MUCH AWESOMENESS. It reminds me of the TV show "Amazing Race", where contests run around the world, and the winning team wins a million dollars. Here, though, the prize is a diamond company and much more than a million dollars.

Instead of organizing the race herself, however, the grandmother puts a lot of it in the hands of a law firm. It makes sense, but I'm not sure what they were doing to Avery is legal. If the grandmother owns all the letters from Avery's mother, why does the law firm use them to bribe Avery? Something seems off about all the bribes, secrets, and help they gave her.

The characters reminded me of those from We Were Liars, except they had a few instances of likability, even the cousins. And I seriously loved Riley and Avery: they fought sometimes, and at first, the main reason why Riley was there at all was for the law firm. Then it became love, although he sure was attractive at first sight. It was realistic.
Community Post: 17 Reasons Why Anna Should Be Your Favorite Disney Princess

That said, one thing that bothered me was the amount of kissing. Don't get me wrong, I love Riley, but they would be on a time crunch and desperate for answers, and then they'd start kissing. It happened again and again. Um, don't they have more important things to do? Kiss at the hotel!
UGH
The plot was fabulous. It kept building and building, with a lot of harsh betrays from the family members. Seriously, Daisy (or Thisby?) carried the brunt of it. The ending itself, however, felt too crazy to be believable.

Would I read other books by Kate Kae Myers? Yes! I love this one so much.

View all my reviews

Grading:
Adult content: A
Language: Sorry! I don't remember.

2 comments:

  1. sounds cool! I have had a bad week so far....
    my best friend., I logged on to twitter last night and in my feed there had to have been at least 15 tweets from her to @Dylanwash or something like that. Dylan is a football player and bffs with my arch enemy and knowing Dylan is her BF, of all people, and seeing their tweets has left me feeling sick since last night. I am left wondering y she choose that fool instead of me? Is it because he's a jock and i'm a goof for nothing who is trying out for the track team but needs a physical to do it. A boy who is not popular and is considered crazy. A boy who has a ugly body and gets treats as dirty as my dirty blonde/light brown hair. A boy who is teased because of how he thinks and the way he talks. A boy who will be there forever. Yet she gets involved with football kids instead. Ugh. It makes me sick inside. I guess i'm uncool. Idk. She doesn't even like football!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm praying for you every night, Evan! There's probably more to this football player than just a sport. Your friend must see something more in him. Anyway, this must be awful. Maybe you should take a break from girls and focus on your own strength and God's for a while. Getting a girlfriend can wait.

      Delete