Saturday, February 7, 2015

Fish Out of Water

Fish Out of WaterFish Out of Water by Natalie Whipple
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I still hate Dylan.

Thank you, Natalie Whipple, for this free book to review!
Mika Arlington was supposed to spend the summer after her junior year shadowing her marine biologist parents at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, but when her estranged grandmother randomly shows up on the doorstep one day, those plans are derailed. Because Grandma Betty isn't here to play nice—she is cranky, intolerant of Mika's mixed-race-couple parents, and oh yeah she has Alzheimer's and is out of money.  While Mika's family would rather not deal with Grandma Betty, they don't have much choice. And despite Mika's protests, she is roped into caring for a person that seems impossible to have compassion for. And if that wasn't hard enough, Mika must train the new guy at her pet shop job who wants to be anywhere else, and help a friend through her own family crisis. Something's gotta a give, but whichever ball Mika drops means losing someone she loves. Not exactly a recipe for Best Summer Ever—or is it?
I really like the goldfish/Alzheimer symbolism. If someone you love will forget all about you, is there any point in loving them? I also really like Mika, for the most part. I've never read about a girl who loves marine life before. I just wish we got more about the fish in the second half of the book. They were such a big part of her life at first.
finding nemo animated GIF
You knew Finding Nemo GIFs were coming, right?
Like I said, Mika is (mostly) awesome. She's tough, she's different, and she has a a terrific family. Seriously, Mika's emotions (until the second half) made perfect sense.

Then came the second half of the book.

That's when Mika realized she loved Dylan. And can I just say--Dylan is a jerk. Spoiler: He couldn't write her a letter after being missing for five days? He couldn't go to the library and use their internet? C'mon, Dylan. Think outside the box. I never liked him, and I don't understand why Mika did. Also, their relationship felt obsessive. At the beginning of the book, they both valued personal space, but then it became they had to be together, all day, every day.
finding nemo animated GIF
That said, I really enjoyed Mika's other friends. They had lives of their own that didn't slow down just because of Mika's problems. And the curry incident at the end--Gosh, I laughed out loud. It was hilarious.

Would I read other books by Natalie Whipple? Yes! I love her writing and I love her main character in this one. I just hope other love interests are more...lovable.

View all my reviews

Grading:

Adult Content: B or C
Language: I...don't remember. Probably B.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like U book I wouldn't like. It seems like I haven't blogged in ages. School is killing me. I am reading Dragonquest, The Great Gadsby ( The Great Gadsby is for English III class), and when biking I have been listening to Stephen King books. I also kinda am reading In Darkness Hid but have not picked it up in a while. Sorry that I have not been around for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you, Evan! I've been praying for you, too. Next year I'll be going to a new school as well. I hope I'll transition easily. :P

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Yasmine! I had a lot of fun picking out Finding Nemo GIFs. I seriously need to watch it again soon.

      Delete