Thursday, February 12, 2015

Cinder

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)Cinder by Marissa Meyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I seem to be the last person on Goodreads to read this book.
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
Despite being late to join the bandwagon, I am super glad I did. The last book comes out this year, and apparently it's 800 pages long. That's about 400 too much for me. But I will make it!

Why would I put myself through that, you ask?

1). For the heartbreak. I simultaneously hate and love crying over fictional characters. On one hand, it's ALL PAIN, but on the other, it's life and emotion and empathy and human
disney animated GIF
This is me.
Cinder can't cry, by the way. She wasn't built with tear ducts.

2). To see if Cinder marries Kai, of course.
cinderella animated GIF
PLEASE.
And to get more of Iko, her android friend.

3). In the hopes that bioelectricity will ever make sense. The Lunars can control human vision and emotions, but some people are immune? And this somehow has to do with the plague?

Why I am not excited to read the next book:

1). In this one, there were zero twists. I mean, Cinder's heritage is obvious, and everyone knows the classic Cinderella tale. In regards to the retelling aspect, I may have liked The Stepsister's Tale better. I didn't say Throne of Glass because Sarah J. Maas gave it such new life it hardly counts as a retelling.

2). They're in New Beijing (built after World War IV), but it seriously could have been set in New York. Maybe cultural differences have decreased by then though.

Even so, I will definitely read Scarlet, a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. I'm just debating whether to get it in audio from or not. It's 11 hours long though.

View all my reviews

Grading:
Language: A
Adult Content: A

7 comments:

  1. You will love Scarlet!!! The romance was a little fast paced for me, but other than that, I really liked it. And I would really have like there to be more cultural stuff about New Bejing. The mentioned pagoda-ish buildings twice, but other than that, there was hardly any culture. I kept on imagining Prince Kai as an American dude, not Chinese. Did you have that problem? Don't worry, I'm late to hop on the bandwagon too. (-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok. I read the review and it sounds a bit to girly for me to enjoy. Then again i'm the only guy who comments on here.

      Delete
    2. Elizabeth--I can't wait for Scarlet! I really want to get to the third one quickly, since it's Rapunzel. I want to see how they explain all her hair. I was able to imagine Prince Kai as Chinese, but I have no idea what Cinder looks like. Is she Asian? European? When it's revealed where she actually came from, it messed me up even more, even though I knew it was coming. Maybe I'll look up fan art to help me out.

      Evan--I guess it depends how you define "girly". It's primarily narrated by a girl, but Dr. Erland and Kai get to as well.

      Delete
  2. This is kind of ironic timing since I just reserved Cinder through the library... I'm super excited though, especially after reading your review. This sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an awesome book! If the snow lets up, I'm going to go to the library today and get the next one.

      Delete
  3. sounds a bit too girly for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete