Thursday, January 1, 2015

The One About Journals

Happy New Years! Since lots of people are making resolutions about persevering, I figured I would address one of the hardest resolutions of all: keeping a journal. I'm pretty sure everyone has tried to use one at least once, and we have all failed miserably. It's like talking to someone who can never reply. Fun at first, but then it wears off.

I, however, have discovered the secret! Just kidding: I've figured out what works for me. Find out what works for yourself, and tell me in the comments! I have three journals that I'm quite fond of, so I'll post them here for you to draw inspiration from.

Journal #1: Wreck This Journal
Wreck This Journal is seriously one of the best books I have ever bought. I'm not done with all the prompts yet, but I've really enjoyed doing some of them with my younger brothers. I've told the six year old that once he learns to read, I'll buy him his own copy.

Before demolition.... (With Mary @ Marchaelary and Christie @ The Celtic Cowgirl)
Displaying 20141126_164328.jpg
I was NOT READY for this picture to be taken!
Displaying 20141126_164434.jpg
"Tape this journal shut and mail it to yourself". I haven't done this one yet, but I can't wait to see the look on the mailman's face when I do.
Displaying 20141208_162556.jpg
This time I was ready. Michael (the six year old) is on the left, Mark on the right.
...After demolition:








I just had to dog-ear this one.

WRECK!
Journal #2: The Bookish Journal
In this one, I've written the titles of every book I have ever read--sort of. I don't think I listed Fun with Dick and Jane, which I learned to read with.

I've only filled in a couple pages.

Journal #3: My Happiness Journal
Hey look, it's the corner of my bookish journal!
"Forever is composed of nows."~Emily Dickinson. It's basically a big list of good things.

So, I guess if you want to start a journal for 2015, here's my secret to success: make it interesting. Have fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun, since that's sort of what journals are all about. Don't apologize for not writing every day! You own your journal, not the other way around.

Comment with your journalistic tips! Also: What is the difference between a journal and a diary?

7 comments:

  1. Good luck! I've completed a few journals, but they all took a long time... I really don't have a lot of tips besides it doesn't matter if there are gaping gaps in your journal where you didn't write for a month at a time. I've done this several times, but you just have to keep going... Don't know if that made any sense. As fr the difference between a journal and a diary: they can mean practically the same thing, but sometimes people use the word 'journal' for something they write about the events of the day and 'diary' for something they talk about their feelings in. I use my journal for both. (-:
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! And some people say diaries are for girls and journals are for boys, but that doesn't make any sense. :P I used to have a journal that I wrote in pretty often (it was a Hobbit journal too. It was awesome), but I haven't done that in a while. I might go back to it because I love the cover so much, but the three I've got going now work pretty well too.

      Delete
  2. I can't see the pictures at the top (the ones with me), could you email them to me? :) And I'm so glad to see how much you like the journal I got you and that it's the happiness one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I was afraid those ones wouldn't load. :P I'll send them to you. And thank you soooooooo much for the lovely happiness journal :)

      Delete
    2. Ugh, I was afraid those ones wouldn't load. :P I'll send them to you. And thank you soooooooo much for the lovely happiness journal :)

      Delete
  3. I'm soooo bad at journals. >.> I really want to, but then I have zero motivation. But filling a journal is on my list of things to do for this year, so HOPEFULLY I'll actually persevere with it. I think I'll fill mine with quotes and doodles, though. Wreck this Journal looks so awesome! Except the first pictures aren't showing up on my computer?! Maybe it's my internet though. :(
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your journal! Yeah, I'm afraid those top pictures aren't working for some reason. :P I think I uploaded them weird. Sorry about that!

      Delete