Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Left Behinds: The iPhone that Saved George Washington

The Left Behinds: The iPhone that Saved George WashingtonThe Left Behinds: The iPhone that Saved George Washington by David Potter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So, I know reviewers aren't supposed to quote from an ARC in case the author changes things around in the final copy, but this book was so darn funny I just had to.

Thank you, Netgalley and Random House Children's, for this free book to review!
On Christmas Day, Mel finds General George Washington lying dead as a doornail in a stable. But Mel knows that George Washington must cross the Delaware River, or the course of American history will be changed forever. 

Could Mel’s iPhone have sent him back in time to 1776? And can Mel and his schoolmates, know-it-all Bev and laid-back Brandon, come to the rescue? Perhaps, with a little help from two colonial kids and Benjamin Franklin himself. 
I'm okay at history, but reading about a kid (and a boy, at that), who really loves it was awesome. Mel's always been more on the sidelines, but he's not afraid to take charge when no one else is capable.

I've got two quibbles about this book though. First off, the length bothered me. It felt like the author, David Potter, finished this book, wanted it to be longer, and added twists at the end. It would have read smoother if the plot were half as long, with more development in the minor characters.

My second quibble is George Washington: grant it, I don't have a iTime app on my iphone (nor do I have, you know, an iphone), so I don't know his personality. But apparently he only agreed to cross the Delaware because Mel told him about Washington D.C. and he was vain enough to change his mind. It sure was funny though.
"I like it! Washington, D.C." Then his eyes flash. I am 'Washington, G.' G., and only G. Who is this Washington D.C., you speak of? I have no relation with such initial. What abomination is this? After all I have suffered? All I have risked? To be--to be insulted! In such a manner! 'Tis an outrage!" 65%, The iPhone that Saved George Washington. The exact quote may not be in the final copy, but I sure hope it will be.
Would I read other books by David Potter? I hope so! This one was absolutely hilarious. Bravo to David for such humor.

View all my reviews

Grading: (Guess who's writing this WEEKS after reading the book? Results may not be accurate)
Violence: A?
Language: A? B?

No comments:

Post a Comment