Saturday, January 17, 2015

All About Me!

This month, Cait @ Paper Fury and Ski @ Further Up and Further In are hosting an Author Edition for Beautiful People! Which author is this for, you ask?

Me.

;)

1. How many years have you been writing? When did you officially consider yourself a ‘writer’?
I first started a year or two ago, probably after finding the Go Teen Writers blog by Stephanie Morrill and Jill Williamson and reading their book. That really took my writing to the next level.

2. How/why did you start writing?
Because all of my friends were doing it! Few of them want to take their writing out to the world though.

3. What’s your favorite part of writing?
As someone once said, "It's hell writing and it's hell not writing. The only satisfactory time is having just written". Pardon the French, but...yes. I feel awesome finishing things.

4. What’s your biggest writing struggle?
Getting back after a break. I took a nice long pause after the 100 for 100 challenge which ended right before Christmas. Now I have to try to get back in the swing.

5. Do you write best at night or day?
Day, when everybody is up and about and I am surrounded by bright sunlight. I'd love tow rite during the mysterious night, when everyone else is sleeping, but...then I'd fall asleep.

6. What does your writing space look like? (Feel free to show us pictures!)
My bed:
There's the blanket I knitted! It's not technically done (see the missing left corner?), but I love it.
The library:
They have pretty awesome swivel chairs.
7. How long does it typically take you to write a complete draft?
A month if it's November, longer if it's not.

8. How many projects do you work on at once?
One or two. I currently am editing one and letting another one sit. I want to begin another novel, but I only have a vague idea about the plot.

9. Do you prefer writing happy endings, sad ones, or somewhere in between?
My favorite endings are the slightly sad but still hopeful, so I hope my writing reflects that.

10. List a few authors who’ve influenced your writing journey.
Stephanie Morrill and Jill Williamson, I guess.

11. Do you let people read your writing? Why or why not?
I just recently wrote a rough draft "behind closed doors", as Stephanie Morrill calls it. It helped a ton, and I was able to get a lot done. I want other people to see my writing, of course, but for Stephanie and I, that time is not during the first draft.

12. What’s your ultimate writing goal or dream?
Uh, being published? I'd love to be an editor at the publishing house too.

13. If you didn’t write, what would you want to do?
Be a journalist, be a therapist, or work in day care. I love writing, I love helping people, and I love babies.

14. Do you have a book you’d like to write one day but don’t feel you’re ready to attempt it yet?
Yes, every once in a while I get an idea for an adult novel. I think I might wait until I'm more of an adult though.

15. Which story has your heart and won’t let go?
My Jane Eyre retelling!

And there you have it! Do you let people read your books before they've been edited?

11 comments:

  1. I just got the Go Teen Writers book in the mail, and I can't wait to read it. I love Stephanie and Jill's blog, so I know the advice in the book will be really useful. It's so cool that you knit your own blanket. I love knitting and sewing, but I haven't been able to do much of that lately because school has been taking up a lot of my time. Ooh, a Jane Eyre retelling?!? I would totally want to read a book like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill and Stephanie are AMAZING. I'd recommend their book to anyone. And I'm so glad you like the idea of a Jane Eyre retelling. :) I've read a lot of Jane Austen ones, but never a Jane Eyre one.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Hey, Julia! I think I found GoTeenWriters last year and it's helped a lot. :) And I might be an editor someday too. :)

    http://teensliveforjesus.blogspot.ru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Go Teen Writers awesome? I especially love their contests.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I used to read more of their stuff, but haven't done it too much lately. :/ What do you write about?

      http://teensliveforjesus.blogspot.ru

      Delete
    3. I'm currently working on a modern Jane Eyre retelling. I'm having lots of fun with it. :) What about you?

      Delete
    4. I've finished the firat draft of a story about a girl who's dealing with how far she can go with her boyfriend and how God can get her out of the mess she's made. I'm now researching a bit on another story. :)

      http://teensliveforjesus.blogspot.ru

      Delete
    5. That sounds awesome! If it gets published, I'd love to read it.

      Delete
  3. Good luck on your writing!! Sounds like something I'd enjoy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete