Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The Judge Who Stole Christmas

The Judge Who Stole ChristmasThe Judge Who Stole Christmas by Randy Singer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I tried to find some Grinch GIFs, but I couldn't find any that were appropriate. Plus, it appears to be the creepiest looking movie ever. I've only seen the animated version for a reason.
It starts innocently enough in the town square of Possum, Virginia. But it ends up as a spectacular national scandal: Can a federal judge outlaw Christmas?

Thomas Hammond and his wife play Joseph and Mary in the annual live nativity scene in their hometown. But a federal judge rules the display unconstitutional and a Christmas showdown ensues. Thomas refuses to abide by the court order and ends up in jail. From the courtrooms of Virginia to the talk shows of New York City, the battle escalates into a national media spectacle. Caught in the middle is law student Jasmine Woodfaulk assigned to represent Thomas as part of her school's legal aid clinic. 

Whatever happened to peace on earth?
My main problem with this book is the fact that Thomas was such a misguided person. He meant well, but he had killed his child a year before. Seriously. His four year old has appendicitis (something my own brother nearly died from), but he refused to bring the kid to the hospital until it was too late. Instead, he decided to tell God what to do and fully expected God to pull a miracle at the last minute. THAT IS NOT OKAY, and now one of his kids is dead. This made it seriously hard to root for Thomas.

Also, why didn't he just apply for a permit to put up the manger scene? I'm sure he would have gotten approved.

About half way though, however, I really warmed up to the story, especially to Jasmine. She's being pulled in all different directions by a potential employer, her family, and a law case she never really wanted. I had to admire how she managed to keep her sanity.

I am now completely in the Christmas mood. Bring on the carols, especially "Away in a Manger"!

View all my reviews

Grading:
Violence: A
Adult Content: A
Language: A

No comments:

Post a Comment