Sunday, December 21, 2014

Beautiful Books #3

Unfortunately, none of the blog buttons are working here, but anyway, I'm linking up again with Cait @ Paper Fury and Sky @ Further Up and Further In, for round three of Beautiful Books! This month? All about editing.

1. On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best) how well do you think this book turned out?
That's a tough one; maybe a six? Overall, it should be low, but it's only a rough draft, and any draft is better than none.

 2. Have you ever rewritten or edited one of your books before? If so, what do you do to prepare yourself? If not, what’s your plan?
I'm currently editing When I Depart, my Jane Eyre retelling. I finished it right before NaNo, and then began editing December 1, so that gave me a four week break. I fixed up some minor parts, then sent it out to my critique partners. I've got a bit of a dilemma here: was I supposed to edit it a lot and then send it out, or should I have sent it out right away? I don't want to give my dear partners junk, but I don't want to edit something to perfection, then decide it doesn't fit the story and delete it. (Elizabeth, I know you follow my blog: what's your opinion?)

3. What’s your final wordcount? Do you plan to lengthen or trim your book?
I Won't Fly, a Swan Lake retelling, is 25,025 words long. I'm going to lengthen it as much as possible. 60,000 words total sounds good to me.

4. What are you most proud of? Plot, characters, or pacing?
Hm...mostly the characters. I love my plot, but I think it needs more going on.

5. What’s your favourite bit of prose or line from this novel?
The title, I Won't Fly.


6. What aspect of your book needs the most work?
Hm...probably their religion. Halfway through I added their worship of the stars, and referenced it from there on out. It probably should have been there from the beginning.

7. What aspect of your book is your favourite?
I really, really like the idea of a Swan Lake retelling, as well as Odette, my main character. She's always trying to do the right thing, even when it's hard.

8. How are your characters? Well-rounded, or do they still need to be fleshed-out?
Ugh. Just went over my characters. :) Odile and Siegfried might need some work, but Odette feels fine.

9. If you had to do it over again, what would you change about the whole process?
Hm.... I don't know. Maybe I'd have worked more on the world building?

10. Did anything happen in your book that completely surprised you? Have any scenes or characters turned out differently to what you planned? Good or bad?
I knew where most of it was going, although I had several different ideas for the ending. I like the note it ended on though.

11.What was the theme and message? Do you think it came across? If not, is there anything you could do to bring it out more?

Uh....

Well....

I have no idea. I guess the theme is "Don't hang out with swans".

12. Do you like writing with a deadline (like NaNoWriMo) or do you prefer to write-as-it-comes?
Like most people, I'd prefer only to write when inspiration strikes, and have it strike every day when it's just me and the computer. As that never happens though, NaNo is awesome as keeping me on track, and Go Teen Writers' 100-4-100 challenge (where you write at least a hundred words for a hundred days) ends on Dec. 23, and I'm am probably not going to write again until 2015. I NEED A BREAK.


13. Comparative title time! What published books, movies, or TV shows are like your book? (Ex: Inkheart meets X-Men, etc.)
Big surprise here: I Won't Fly is based off of Swan Lake.

14. How do you celebrate a finished novel?!
By not looking at it again for as long as my editing brain will allow.

15. When people are done reading your book, what feeling do you want them to come away with?
Tough one.... I guess I want them to be a little sad, but slightly hopeful.


And then I want them to do this:
#bookworm #readingGilmore Girls
Thanks, Cait and Sky, for hosting these link-ups!

2 comments:

  1. This was a fun tag! It's always fun to read these kinds of posts. (-: I've got to say, you're a much more dedicated writer than I am! I have trouble making myself write if I don't have enough inspiration... As for your novel, I'm not sure if you've already thought of this or not, but you could save one copy of the original draft and edit an other copy, and if you don't like how you edited it, you still have the original draft to go back to and look for different possibilities. I hope that makes sense, if it doesn't and your still curious, just e-mail me. (-; Good luck m'dear! I can't wait to read your second draft.
    ~Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! You make perfect sense. :) Yeah, now that 100-4-100 is over, I don't think I'll be writing much more for a little while...I'm all worn out. Eventually I'll start editing I Won't Fly, but I might wait to do that after I'm done with the second draft of my Jane Eyre novel. :P Then I need to figure out some more ideas.... The life of a writer never ends. ;)

      Delete