Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Hunger Games

Yes, I'm very late to The Hunger Games bandwagon. But here I am, with a review for Mockingjay. I don't think there are any spoilers, but proceed at your own risk.

I didn't review the first two books, but here's the general rundown.

The Hunger Games: 5 stars, all the way. Lots of emotions.

Catching Fire: 4.5 stars. My main problem was Suzanne Collins's inability to pace her novels. I'll get into that more later.

Now for Mockingjay.

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

How am I ever going to recover? I'm shocked Katniss did. I wouldn't have.

I'm split in two about this book (not literally, but I'm sure some characters were). I cannot get over the amount of bloodshed. It was probably excessive, but I'm writing this review immediately after reading it, so I don't have as clear an opinion as I will in the morning. The one death at the moment that I think was too much was Finnick's. (Scroll over to see the spoiler.)

Another excess in Mockingjay is the wasted space. In all honesty, it could have been 50-100 pages shorter. Pacing is not Suzanne Collins's strong suit. Breaking people is. As I was reading, I thought, "The ending had better blow me away, or I will completely hate this book". I'm not sure the ending blew me away, but I'm basically in shock right now. I need a blanket. Maybe when I recover, I'll be annoyed at it in some way, but for now, I'm frozen. Frankly, I was stunned throughout the entire novel.

I'm so glad about what Katniss did to Coin at the end. I probably would have done it as soon as I discovered Coin's plan, but I don't remember if Katniss had the ability to do so at that point. At least she did it in the end.

Another small qualm I have is the amount of names. Apparently Darius is the one who defended Gale in Catching Fire, but since so many other people were thrown at me, only to never be seen agian, anything that happened to Darius left little emotional impact. And who is Messala, anyway? Where did Cressida come from? Why on earth were nearly all of the prep teams killed? That makes no sense.

Now, time for the question I'm sure you're all dying (haha) to know. Gale or Peeta? I was wondering that myself.

Until I read the freaking novel and didn't find a love triangle.

Seriously. Every once in a while there would be a reference to the fact that Gale and Peeta loved her, but it was one of the few parts of this book that wasn't overused. I didn't classify Mockingjay as a romance because it wasn't one. We found out who she picked, yeah, but overall Katniss had other things to do.

I'm not going to go off on a rant about my opinion on the supposed love triangle, but as it seems so popular nowadays to have an opinion on it, I'm leaning slightly toward Peeta. Maybe I only liked him better because Gale is such a monster. Gale expected Katniss to like him, even though he had never hinted at romance until recently. Apparently he loved her for at least six months before the Games. He did nothing though! Katniss had no idea. If you're too afraid to say anything to your crush, then you don't get to be so furious when she is forced into a romance for the sake of survival in the Games. Okay? Okay.

Rant done.
sherlock animated GIF
Violence: LOL. It's the last book in a trilogy about killing innocent children. It's bloody.
Language: A
Adult Content: A
View all my reviews

11 comments:

  1. I herd of the movies before the books but if the books have just as much blood in them as the movies do thats awesome. I have a fasination for reading writing gorey stories and watching gory movies. I write stories about girls who are psychologicaly abused in wierd forms such as Diaper Discipline and the idea of parrents trying to reverse their childrens mental development and the stories ending with all the girls except one are turned into mental babies after their parrents use bazare tactics except one girl who resists her becoming like her sisters and instead of dealing with mental reatrdation the main character of the story ends up stopping her abusive parrents by using a .44 caliber revolver on her parrents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so far the main idea for the story

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was good! I made the pumpkin pies and mashed potatoes. :) How was your Thanksgiving?

      Delete
    2. Horrible. The only good thing was seeing MockingJay, eatting thanksgiving lunch at 3:30p.m., and seeing a car blow up in flames at the walmart

      Delete
    3. I also liked going home. I started a new story

      Delete
    4. THanksgiving day. I woke up late after texting by best friend Victoria half the night while she was black friday shopping. I could not sleep till 2 A.M. My bed was a deflated air matress. i woke up late. Due to lack of food cause my aunts scones were discusting and I could not get myself to eat them and taking medicine perscribed by doctor that can make someone dizzy, the tiredness, drug effects, and lack of food and drink, sent my head spinning into a state of diziness so i could not walk well I went to the bathroom cuz i felt like a was gonna puke and thirty minutes later i wake up to find myself laying face up in the bathroom by the toilet. I had passed out. I texted my friend agian after I recovered and told her she is beutaful and I miss her. she said I miss you too evan and so fourth. I go downstairs agian to find my dad and my dad's mom who disagree on how to interpret parts f the Bible debating with eachother and I add in my input. Family reunions often result in heated debates about politics and religious views.

      Delete
    5. every nite I found myself texting Victoria at one point in a sleepy foggy mind I told her " i wish you were lying here with me right now as I lie here depressed, unhappy, alone, and insane. " I had been thinking about the extra air mtress and her on one air matress, me on the other.

      Delete
  3. Yay, you finally read it! I have to agree with you on most of these points. I couldn't handle Finnick's death. Just saying his name brings tears. I try to forget that he died. The names were confusing to me too, at first anyway. The first time I read MockingJay I didn't know half of what was going on. Now that I own the book and I have been through countless times, the names don't confuse me anymore, but I understand what you're saying.

    I like Gale better in the other books than this one. He was too mean and bloodthirsty. But maybe I wouldn't be so critical of him if he didn't do what he did at the end. Katniss had been the worst tragedy of her life and he's just like, "Bye, bye." I adore Peeta though. He made up for Gale's jerk-ness.
    I love your book reviews, Julia! Keep it up:) I'm sorry I don't comment as much as I should. Sometimes I mean to, but I always forget.
    In Christ,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I love your reviews too. :)

      Overall, I really liked The Hunger Games, but it certainly isn't for the faint of heart. There's so much death and despair that I might not watch the movies. Seeing something on screen is very different than reading about it. Still, it was a worthwhile read and I kept seeing similarities between Panem and America.

      Delete
    2. the movies suprisingly aren't too gory.

      Delete