Saturday, November 8, 2014

The Death Cure

The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3)The Death Cure by James Dashner
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I am very annoyed. This will be a long review, so bear with me.
It’s the end of the line.

WICKED has taken everything from Thomas: his life, his memories, and now his only friends—the Gladers. But it’s finally over. The trials are complete, after one final test.

Will anyone survive?

What WICKED doesn’t know is that Thomas remembers far more than they think. And it’s enough to prove that he can’t believe a word of what they say.

The truth will be terrifying.

Thomas beat the Maze. He survived the Scorch. He’ll risk anything to save his friends. But the truth might be what ends it all.

The time for lies is over.
 
Characters: No.

Teresa: She has such a minor role, and we barely see her at all. If only she could have been as interesting as she was in the first book.

Minho: Still my favorite.

Newt: On pinterest, I saw lots of "NEWT"S BACKSTORY IS SO TRAGIC!!! HOW SAD!!!" pins. Am I missing something? I got the impression that we'd find out who he was before the maze, and...we didn't. We did find out what happened to his limp though. Never trust pinterest, I guess.

Thomas: I call his kind "stupave". That's a mix between stupid and brave. Let's face it: he's an idiot. Why is he the Final Candidate? Minho is a great deal smarter. I know WICKED picked Thomas for other reasons as well, but it bugs me that they consider him smart when he so clearly isn't.

Brenda: Want more of her too.

Plot: Action? Check. Well paced action? Nope.

Honestly. At the beginning when they were trying to break out of WICKED's compound, the gladers there just kinda hung around and had a few conversations, like they had all the time in the world. WAKE UP. You're in the enemy's very camp. You don't have time for this klunk, as Minho should have said.

Also, it bugged me that Thomas chose not to get his memories back. I understand why he wouldn't want to do anything WICKED wanted him to do, but as a reader, it felt like James Dashner was holding onto the mystery for far too long. The Maze Runner was all about finding the answers, but now he refuses?

Whew. Rant done.

Now that I've got that out of the way, let's talk about the good things. I really liked the last couple of pages, even though I still have questions. Ugh. Spoiler: Were the Immunes led to a different planet or something?

Also, it was very entertaining and kept me hooked.

Would I read other books by James Dashner? Well, I found a link to the three paged Thomas’s First Memory of the Flare (I hope it was legal), and I glazed over that. But anything else? No thanks. I read the series after seeing the first movie because I wanted answers right away. I've got a few of them now, but I'm still so confused.

Grading:
Language: B
Adult Content: A
Violence: Not for the faint of heart.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment