Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)The Maze Runner by James Dashner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I think I like the movie better.
"If you ain't scared, you ain't human."

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.
For one thing, everyone was nicer. I know that sounds lame, but honestly. In the book, all of the Gladers were jerks to Chuck, including Thomas. Like, listen buddy: Chuck is one of the few who doesn't want you dead. Appreciate him. Teresa verged on being a decent character in both the book and the movie, but she was continually thrown to the side.
Breakdown In animated GIF
The writing was very simple. Perhaps that's perfect for a 16 year old boy with amnesia, but it fell flat to me. Also, the answers were withheld way too long. At some point, the suspense got annoying.

I liked the slang though. I know some reviewers thought it was annoying, but it felt natural for 50+ teenage boys to say SOMETHING when they get angry, and I, for one, appreciated how little real language they used.

If you like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH OHMYGOSH WHAT COMES NEXT action and fear, watch the movie. The book wasn't quite as scary, although probably more violent. I guess there really is a difference between picturing something in your head and seeing it on screen!

Will I read The Scorch Trials? Absolutely. Even though the long suspense bothered me, I'm hooked on discovering what comes next.

Grading:
Adult Content: A
Violence: C? A lot.
Language: B

View all my reviews

5 comments:

  1. So you read it! Yeah, that's the overwhelming vote I've heard from people who've read it too :P. Though I do like it when people are true to language. I'm writing a book with a whole slathering of diverse peoples and jumping from one accent to another is just the funnest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Langauge can be a tricky subject in writing! I used a mild word in my Jane Eyre retelling, and I think it fit the character.

      Delete
    2. Exactly, because even if the author doesn't use bad language, a lot of people still do. And in certain settings, you just can't get away with everyone having a decent vocabulary. A bunch of teen boys together with no supervision, fighting for their lives-- they're gonna say a few bad words.

      And I'm entirely with you on the whole "nice" thing. I understand they're under stress, but still, that doesn't mean they can't be kind to each other!

      Delete
  2. I really liked this book, much more than the two others. It had no cuss words, though the next ones do have a few. The series was so exciting, though I disliked the third book. Teresa's the best in this book. She has a much simpler personality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting for the next book to come in at the library. I think someone had it out. :P Will we get to see more of Teresa as the series progresses? She has potential.

      Delete