Saturday, October 11, 2014

Storm Siren

Storm Siren (Storm Siren, #1)Storm Siren by Mary Weber
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

COVER LOVE. Also, it has the coolest book trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k79C_...

Thank you, Netgalley and Thomas Nelson, for this free book to review!
“I raise my chin as the buyers stare. Yes. Look. You don’t want me. Because, eventually, accidentally, I will destroy you.”

In a world at war, a slave girl’s lethal curse could become one kingdom’s weapon of salvation. If the curse—and the girl—can be controlled.

As a slave in the war-weary kingdom of Faelen, seventeen-year-old Nym isn’t merely devoid of rights, her Elemental kind are only born male and always killed at birth — meaning, she shouldn’t even exist.

Standing on the auction block beneath smoke-drenched mountains, Nym faces her fifteenth sell. But when her hood is removed and her storm-summoning killing curse revealed, Nym is snatched up by a court advisor and given a choice: be trained as the weapon Faelen needs to win the war, or be killed.

Choosing the former, Nym is unleashed into a world of politics, bizarre parties, and rumors of an evil more sinister than she’s being prepared to fight . . . not to mention the handsome trainer whose dark secrets lie behind a mysterious ability to calm every lightning strike she summons.

But what if she doesn’t want to be the weapon they’ve all been waiting for?
What I liked:

1. The world building. While some parts were confusing, I enjoyed Faelen overall. The animals were super creative. Flesh eating horses? Very helpful in battle, although we never got to see them do that...probably for the best.
frozen animated GIF
Except a little bit more dangerous.
2. Nym. At the beginning she was merely "sass", but she really grew over the course of the book.

3. The ending. ASDFGHJKL I NEED A SEQUEL. NOW.

What I didn't like:

1. The romances. It felt so forced, as if she sincerely loved Eogan from the start but never bothered to turn off Colin's advances. Understandably, I guess. Colin is a cutie.
frozen animated GIF
Would I read other books by Mary Weber? YES!!! I need more about Nym RIGHT NOW, but the next book doesn't come out until 2015. Cliff hanger alert!

Grading:

Language: A
Adult content: A
Violence: B?
Notes: Potential trigger for self harm. Nearly every time Nym accidentally killed someone, she'd mark something about them on her skin with a knife.

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. awesome sounding book! might get it after I finish By darkness hid which scinece i have had little tiime to read due to school, i am only about 1/2 way through with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, By Darkness Hid is pretty long, isn't it? But it's so good. :D

      Delete
  2. It seems like you must really like YA fantasy books! cause that is what most of your reviews are about. Thats cool cause Ya fantasy is one of my favorite book genres

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I primarily do YA. :) I also like middle grade.

      Delete