Monday, October 13, 2014

Intro to Modesty Series

Olivia, over at Fresh Modesty, has inspired me to start a blog post series about modesty. Before I do that, however, I want to state a few things.

Number One
I have no inch measurements for how long skirts should be, nor do I have an inch measurement for how high a neckline should be. Every skirt I own is below knee so I can wear it to school. I could get a slightly shorter one for church, but why would I want a skirt I can only wear to one place? If I'm going somewhere else fancy like a concert, than I just wear one of my below knee skirts. No fuss.

I can usually tell at a glance if a neckline will work on me or not. If it's in a gray area ("Well, it's okay as long as I don't do this or that....") then I just wear a scarf with it.

Number Two
I am pro pants. I only wear skirts to church, school, and fancy occasions. Around the house, during my sister's play practice after school, babysitting, riding a bike to the library, ect (I guess these are the only reasons why I leave the house) I wear pants. My sister wears skirts everywhere though, so...I guess normal people can do that too.

Number Three
I am not skinny.  For some reasons, all modesty blogs that I've seen feature naturally skinny people. What works on my naturally slender sister won't necessarily work on me. Thus, I will show you how the rest of us can be modest and practical too.

Number Four
I don't know why I dress modestly. I always hear stuff about "Don't lead guys astray!" (because they have no control over their thoughts?) or "Dress for God!" (What does that even mean?). All I know is if I ever understand, I don't want to look back and wonder how many guys' lives I made harder by what I wore.

Number Five
I don't wear vintage clothes. For some reason it's very popular among Christians, so...okay. But I love living in 2014, and I'm so glad this is where God put me.

Number Six
I'm not going to work extra hard to look "feminine", whatever that is. I love pants. I love the cast tee-shirts my school makes. Are they girly? No. Do I care? No. I want to be comfortable, dang it. Unless I'm going somewhere fancy, comfort gets precedence. I don't even own a pair of heels.

So there you have it! Once I get my sister on board as a photographer (and perhaps guest post), and my mom's permission to use her phone (or her camera) we can begin!

Running Through the Stars

20 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Olivia on Fresh Modest. I'm not pro pants, but I do think that wearing skirts is smart thing to do. Thanks for posting about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ellie. :) Maybe you could do a modesty series on your blog! I'd love to see it.

      Delete
    2. Yeah maybe I will sometime. Thanks for telling me! I actually meant to say I am pro pants. Ahh horrible mistake. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. No problem. I mess up words all the time. ;)

      Delete
  2. Nice post! I agree with you on just about everything, but remember, no one controls all their thoughts. Guys can choose to give into temptation or not, but it's a good idea not to tempt them. You know, too much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You cleared things up for me. I've always been so confused on that point. :P

      Delete
    2. not ALL skirts are modest. Like some girls where these skirts that are transparent showing all of their legs and their bottom. some skirts are super super super short. depends. i'm just giving the opinion of a 16 year old boy about what he things is good and modest. Oh yes my way of girls is just like the person I like even if she is pathetic looking.

      Delete
    3. I agree with you there, pal! Girls can go just as wrong with a skirt as pants. I see it all the time. I see no need to suppress one's womanliness, but there's a fine line between that and shoving it in people's faces.

      Delete
  3. http://qideas.org/articles/modesty-i-dont-think-it-means-what-you-think-it-means/
    I think this article covers this topic really well, but I could be wrong. I don't have many set rules for what I wear or don't wear, and I think my conscience does a pretty good job keeping me in check

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That article describes it perfectly. I've been self conscious about my swim suit top all summer because it was lower than I thought it would be. It'd cover more on a skinnier girl, but I wasn't about to go on a diet for one stupid top.

      Delete
    2. i'm fine with whatever as long as the girl I likes does NOT dress like a s l u t and wear nothing but a bikini top to school. that IS gross!

      Delete
  4. It has some adult content though, so be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a girl and am really carefree about what I wear. So this article does not really apply to me. But I do have to say I like the way you expressed how you feel about clothes. by the way you posted this and the wording it gives me the impression that you really don't care what anyone other than your family's opinions on what you wear. That is kinda the attitude I have for the way I look, my vocal problems, and my insanity. I know that physically I look like hell and am not attractive but I really don't care. I also know that I can be a manic in class and get in trouble about the way I talk which the teacher found racist. My voice is horrid. I know all of this but I really don't care what the kids in school think about me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my point is I can relate to the carefree way you seemed to address modesty. And truly if ya want a guy's opinion, I don't care what a girl dresses like as long as it is not anti-modest. Not all guys are like me. It is just my opinion. And as a teen boy my dress code is as abnormal as me. I wear shorts even when it is 45 degrees outside and wear my flip flops all year long every day. I wear whatever I find in my dresser.

      Delete
    2. sorry if my opinion is not welcome. I just thought you might want a teen boys opinion about clothing and such. : )

      Delete
    3. Yay! Thanks for commenting. I like how you said most things are fine unless it's anti-modest. Maybe I should change the name of these posts as "Modern Modesty" or something.

      Delete
    4. my advice: do NOT dress to school like the girl who wears a swat shirt in class but after school takes of her sweatshirt to unhide one of those short short shirts thata shows the majority of a girls chest. That is a violation of my school's dress code but there are a lot of loopholes in school policies,

      Delete
  6. the jock who goes to my school who is a bully would disagree with me and say that dressing like a slut is " hot" but I say dressing like a slut ( which means overall wearing next to noting) is NOT hot. It is gross.

    ReplyDelete