Friday, October 17, 2014

Chasers

ChasersChasers by H.W. Vivian
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

What a cool idea!

Thank you, H. W. Vivian, for this free book to review!
The small town of Winston, Colorado, has a secret-one that hides in its children. Long ago, there were many children who suffered from the local "condition." There are fewer of them now, but Shelby is one of them. She was born with a ruby embedded in her skin. In the same year, two other kids in town, Gary and May, were born with emeralds. Now a teenager, Shelby nurses a crush on Gary, while he sticks close to the fragile May and tries to protect her from, among other things, Shelby's bullying. Despite their differences, however, their births connect them; when May goes missing, Gary needs Shelby's help. Together, Shelby and Gary learn the unspeakable truth about each other-and about the chasers. Death lurks around every turn; in order to survive, Shelby, Gary, and May must work together. It is now their responsibility to save an entire generation of people also born with their "condition" before a century-old grudge destroys them all.
Kids born with jewels in their backs? I can't say I've ever head of anything like it. My mom and I both agreed that the cover was beautiful. ;)

I was under the impression though that the book was about May's mysterious disappearance, and how Gary and Shelby go on a quest to find her and save the other conditionals. It turns out, however, that's only the beginning chapters. The main plot of the book is the events that happened until the slightly confusing "obstacle", which is when the conditionals get a chance to break free from their curse.

One thing I didn't like was the characters. Fourteen year old Shelby was a jerk, who always realized too late how she felt about something--like when she "fell in love" with twenty four year old Tyler after having one conversation with him. Also, what's up with May and Gary? Their characters seemed important, but their personalities faded into the background.
disney animated GIF
The writing was decent. I feel bad saying this, but it's true: I couldn't tell it was self published until about half way through, which I liked. Now, there's nothing wrong with self publishing! It's just sometimes the quality suffers in it, but here? Not so much.

Would I read other books by Vivian? Yes, I think I'd like a sequel. I'd love to know more about Gary.

Grading:

Violence: B
Adult Content: B
Language: C

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, but who was it who said: a poor plot can be carried by good characters, but good characters cannot be carried by a good plot? Whoever it was, he was right.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely! In The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet, the plot wasn't as strong as the first book, but the characters were fabulous.

      Delete