Monday, October 20, 2014

Beautiful Books Link-Up!

This month, Cait @ The Notebook Sisters is having a link-up on plotting a novel. I'm planning on a Swan Lake retelling for NaNoWriMo.

1. What came first: characters or plot idea? Are you a plotter or a pantser?
The idea came first for me. I was listening to "Hunter's Moon" by Celtic Thunder, and when Ryan Kelly said, "How do we know though? Who hunted, who was the prey?" I thought it was a great idea for a book. I thought about animals that could work for prey, and swans came to mind. Then I remembered Swan Lake, and decided to do a retelling.

This year, I'm just going to have a loose idea of a plot. Whenever I figure out every detail before hand, the novel ends up much too short because I'm afraid to deviate from my outline.

2. Do you have a title and/or a “back-cover-blurb”?
The title is I Won't Fly. I'm still composing a blurb, but the nice thing about Swan Lake is that every production does a different ending. I get to pick. ;)

3. What wordcount are you aiming for when your novel is finished?
The youth Nano automatically sets the word count to 30,000. I could change it, but I think I can do it. Scratch that, I know I can do it.

4. Sum up your novel in 3 sentences.
Boy doesn't want to be king. Girl is turned into a swan. Everyone dies.

5. Sum up your characters in one word each.
Meep! I haven't quite gotten to that yet. My school is on break week though, so I can finally sit down and think about it (instead, I'm blogging about them). I'll probably end up giving the characters new names or nicknames. Siegfried? Seriously?
 
6. Which character are you most excited to write? Tell us about them!
I don't know! Maybe Siegfried...I do love royalty. Odette has many questions about her past that ballet productions don't answer though. I can't wait to write them.

7. What about your villain? Who is he, what is his goal?
Rothbart is the one who kidnapped Odette and turned her into a swan. In some productions, he's also Siegfried's mentor. Maybe there's something wrong with Odette and the other swans, so he wants to eliminate them to make things easier for Siegfried when he becomes king? Aw, what a sweet villain.

8. What is your protagonist’s goal? And what stands in the way?
I'm thinking it'll be dual narrated between Siegfried and Odette.... Maybe just Odette.

Odette's goal: stop being a swan!
What stands in the way: She's only a girl at night (why she never goes into her village and night and gets help is beyond me...I'll have to figure out why).

Siegfried's goal: not to be king?
What stands in his way: his royal blood, dang it.

9. What inciting incident begins your protagonist’s journey?
Being kidnapped and turned into a swan is a big deal.

10. Where is your novel set?
In a fantasy land that I have not yet named. They might speak Latin there.

11. What are three big scenes in your novel that change the game completely?
Being kidnapped, being banished before hand (why else would Odette be in a place where evil men-who-turn-girls-into-swans live?), and, ya know, the secrets I can't spill becomes spoilers.

12. What is the most dynamic relationship your character has? Who else do they come in contact with or become close to during the story?
Odile, the black swan, is Odette's sweet twin sister (or something like that). For some reason, they both fall in love with Siegfried, who doesn't like responsibilities. I need to work out their insta-love, since that is a big no-no for me in reading.

13. How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
They probably die.

14. Do you have an ending in mind, or do you plan to see what happens?
I have an idea, but nothing solid yet.

15. What are your hopes and dreams for your book? What impressions are you hoping this novel will leave on your readers and yourself?
I hope I Won't Fly teaches readers not to go into forests at night where known evil (shapeshifters?) live.

Good Heavens, you now know how unprepared I am! I'd better get crackin'. NaNo is in 12 days.

2 comments:

  1. *everyone dies* AHAHAHA I LOVE IT!! Woah, that sounded psychotic. Whoops! X) Evertime I hear "Swan Lake," I think of this Swan Princess cartoon I watched as a kid...LOL that movie. I laugh whenever I think of it! XD I'm sure your book will be much much better. ;)
    Good luck with Nano! Is this your first year? How many years have you done it? It's just my second year this time around. Hopefully I'll finish it this time. XD Good luck with your story! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of Swan Princess, but I've never seen it. I now feel the need to look it up. ;)

      This is my third year of NaNo, I think. I've done a couple Camp NaNo, but there's nothing like getting all geared up for November!

      Delete