Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Nest

NestNest by Esther Ehrlich
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is painful, but not in the hysterical sobbing sort of way (for me, at least). More of in the stunned shock sort of way.
For fans of Jennifer Holm (Penny from Heaven, Turtle in Paradise), a heartfelt and unforgettable middle-grade novel about an irresistible girl and her family, tragic change, and the healing power of love and friendship. In 1972 home is a cozy nest on Cape Cod for eleven-year-old Naomi “Chirp” Orenstein, her older sister, Rachel; her psychiatrist father; and her dancer mother. But then Chirp’s mom develops symptoms of a serious disease, and everything changes.
   Chirp finds comfort in watching her beloved wild birds. She also finds a true friend in Joey, the mysterious boy who lives across the street. Together they create their own private world and come up with the perfect plan: Escape. Adventure. Discovery.
Thank you, NetGalley and Random House Children's, for this free book to review!

Life doesn't go easy on you just because you're young. Life doesn't say, "Oh, you're just a kid, so we'll keep you mom safe." Bad stuff happens no matter how old you are, and Nest portrays that perfectly. Some elements might be too difficult for a lot of kids. But the other kids might find comfort here.

I felt Chirp's stun. I saw the horrific irony that their dad was a therapist. I knew Rachel's fear in her attempt to adapt.

I would absolutely love to read more books by Esther Ehrlich. I hope for a sequel, even though Nest doesn't really need one. I do though.

Grading:
Language: A
Violence: B? Joey is abused.
Adult Content: A
Notes: As I said, this is not for sensitive readers.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Hey julles! Shot ya a email please read and respond. Also i'll be working on a We Are Writers entry. - Evan

    ReplyDelete