Monday, August 11, 2014

To Darkness Fled

To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)To Darkness Fled by Jill Williamson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Who is on the cover?
Achan, Vrell, and the Kingsguard Knights have fled into Darkness to escape the wrath of the former prince. They head for Ice Island to rescue two of Sir Gavin's colleagues who were falsely imprisoned years ago. Darkness is growing and only one man can push it back. Achan wanted freedom, not a crown. His true identity has bound him more than ever. He must learn decorum, wear fancy clothes, and marry a stranger. Achan knows one thing for certain. He will not be a puppet prince. Either he will accept his role and take charge or he will flee. But which will he choose?
I got to admit, the cover is main thing I have against this book. The person on the cover is blonde. Achan has brown hair. Vrell, apparently, has black. I didn't know that till half way through the book though. Has it always been black? Have my eyes just assumed it said blonde? My eyes do stuff like that so often it's not even funny.

Some reviewers thought the spiritual aspect of the book was too forced, but I didn't find it that way at all. In fact, it brought be closer to Christ.

But....

Sir Caleb's talk about guys and girls drove me crazy. It was Mr. S and Spencer all over again. By now I am thoroughly aware that Jill Williamson does not believe in kissing before marriage.
Thor animated GIF
But oh, Achan is such an awesome main character. Even though he grows up in the end, he's still our adorable Achan. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jill Williamson is the master at dialogue. Achan's and Vrell's banter is hilarious.

I liked Vrell for a while too. Her sarcasm was fabulous, but I wasn't thrilled with how she concluded in the book. The romance between Achan and Vrell was rushed. He was best friends with her when he thought she was a boy, then he finds out she's a girl, and then he's in love.
thor animated GIF
Vrell talks so much about serving her king and Arman but really does neither. I shouldn't complain though: I have a feeling that's the theme in the next book.

All in all, however, I'm eagerly saving up my money for the third book.

Language: A
Adult Content: A
Violence: lol.
There are battles and sword fights and fist fights and poisons and all sorts of stuff. It's fantasy though, so...yeah. Whatever.

View all my reviews

7 comments:

  1. I agreed with you totally! Achan and Vrell's romance was predictable too. I knew what was going to happen when Bran and Gwen were hanging out. I wish Vrell would've said she was a girl earlier than when she actually did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I wish she had told them her real name too.

      Delete
    2. So what are you gonna read next?

      Delete
    3. I;m currently reading Nest, about a young girl who loves birds. It's pretty good so far. The writing is fantastic.

      Delete
  2. Nooooo!!!! I am starting public school this year which i'm fine with. I'm not fine with what the school admins and councilor had to say. It turns out state laws make me have to redo biology overall and I hated it! Julie, I wish the idiot who make such horrid laws would go jump in a lake!

    ReplyDelete