Friday, August 15, 2014

Seed Savers (Wall-E!)

Seed Savers (Treasure, #1)Seed Savers by S. Smith
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I don't know whether this is a terrifyingly potential future or just plain ridiculous.
Clare, Dante, and Lily live in a future where growing vegetables is against the law. Some, however, encourage the children to change the future, and instruct them in the old ways.

Can the children learn enough before being stopped by GRIM, the government agency controlling the nation's food?

And can children really change the future?

Seed Savers:Treasure is book 1 in the Seed Savers Series.
Thank you, NetGalley and Sandra L. Smith, for this free book to review!

The general idea is plausible. What if Americans no longer ate fresh food? What if they didn't even know what seeds are?
Cartoons & Comics Walle animated GIF
Except they do know what seeds are, because trees are still around and Clare's mom once tried to grow flowers.

This is one of the reasons why I didn't enjoy this book. How can the kids not understand basic farming techniques? There were so many more plot holes like this. Why the heck would the other Seed Savers let a twelve year old and a seven year old journey four hundred miles to Canada by themselves?! How did Ana and Clare become friends? Why is Dante's voice so advanced for a seven year old? What kids say they're "Exuberant" instead of "Happy"?

I think Clare is the main character, but every so often we'd "head-hop" and get a paragraph of someone else's thoughts. Some authors do this on purpose and do it well. Was the head hopping in Seed Savers particularity good? I wouldn't know because popping into random character's thoughts drive me crazy.
disney animated GIF
I'd like to read other books in the series to find out what happens to Lily and Ana, not enough to buy the other books.

Grading:
Language: A
Violence: A
Adult Content: A

View all my reviews

8 comments:

  1. No offense but this book sounds like a book I would not like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its roasting hot at home I just wanna cool off

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It certainly wasn't for me...the premise is great though. So much potential.

      Delete
  4. Whats the worst book you ever read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I don't really keep track of that stuff.

      Delete
  5. I tagged you! http://amdgcrafting.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/tags-and-a-giveaway/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll get to this as soon as possible.

      Delete