Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Kinda Like Brothers

Kinda Like BrothersKinda Like Brothers by Coe Booth
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Apparently I relate to eleven year old guys.

Thank you, NetGalley and Scholastic, for this free book to review!
Jarrett doesn't trust Kevon.

But he's got to share a room with him anyway.

It was one thing when Jarrett's mom took care of foster babies who needed help. But this time it's different. This time the baby who needs help has an older brother -- a kid Jarrett's age named Kevon. Everyone thinks Jarrett and Kevon should be friends -- but that's not gonna happen. Not when Kevon's acting like he's better than Jarrett -- and not when Jarrett finds out Kevon's keeping some major secrets. Jarrett doesn't think it's fair that he has to share his room, his friends, and his life with some stranger. He's gotta do something about it -- but what? From award-winning author Coe Booth, KINDA LIKE BROTHERS is the story of two boys who really don't get along -- but have to find a way to figure it out.
For some reason, I really relate to characters who are religiously or culturally different than me and struggle in school (this also happened in Playing With Matches). I just do.

That really says something on Coe Booth's part. She managed to make an eleven year old boy relatable. Man. I've got a ton of respect for this author; she writes emotion so well.
love animated GIF
I kept waiting for something drastic to happen, but it never came. There was excitement, yeah, but some unmet potential with Kevon's dad. Then again, this book is geared toward a younger audience, so maybe it was perfect.

Also, why was Qasim stopped by the police? Everyone said it was for no good reason, the police just did that because, being black, he looked suspicious. Writing about racial prejudice can be a good thing, but this didn't advance the plot.

Would I read other books by this author? Most likely. Maybe one for a slightly older audience though.

Grading:
Language: A
Violence: A or B. I'm writing the grade section a while after I read the book, so I don't remember everything.
Adult Content: A

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment