Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Keeping Secrets

Keeping Secrets (Timber Ridge Riders, #1)Keeping Secrets by Maggie Dana
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Despite saying in my review of Turning on a Dime that I probably wouldn't read more books by Maggie Dana, the premise in this one lured me in anyway.

Thank you, NetGalley and Pageworks Press, for this free book to review!
A valuable show jumper is dead, and it’s all her fault, which is why 14-year-old Kate McGregor has put horses and riding out of her life. Forever! 

But her new summer job as a companion to Holly Chapman, a former riding star who’s now confined to a wheelchair, takes Kate back to the barn — the last place she wants to be. 

Can Kate keep her terrible secret from Holly, who is fast becoming her best friend? More important, can she keep it from Angela Dean who lives for only two things — winning ribbons and causing trouble? 

Kate manages to hide her secret until a riding accident forces it into the open . . . and it’s just the moment Angela has been waiting for.
What I liked:

1. It was an easy read. On the verge of being too easy.

2. Liz, Holly's mom. Poor thing, she has to put up with so much.
15 Reasons We Wish We Had Minions
So very, very much.
What I didn't like:

1. Aren't horses supposed to have some kind of personalities? These ones sure didn't.

2. For the matter, the girls didn't either. We hear Kate's dad has practically abandoned her, but it doesn't seem to have much of an effect.

3. The plot twists felt so dang convenient. Something bad would happen and then be resolved on the next page.
15 Reasons We Wish We Had Minions
I would recommend this book to horse lovers, but especially younger ones. I know one who I might buy it for, actually. ;)

View all my reviews

6 comments:

  1. So when you read this book the question of liking it that question's answer is Nay? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julie! I'm Ellie from Uniquely You! I would like to ask you if you would like to guest post for my blog next week? I'm going to be gone on vacation so I'll be gone from this Friday till next Saturday. Totally fine if you can't. Hope you can though! Hope all is well!
    -Ellie
    www.uniquelyyou1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to! Maybe a post on seeing God through literature?

      Delete
  3. That would be awesome! My email is dased1995@gmail.com. So please email me soon and we'll get a date working and stuff! Thanks a lot Julie!

    ReplyDelete