Saturday, August 9, 2014

I'm Not Your Other Half

I'm Not Your Other Half: A Cooney Classic RomanceI'm Not Your Other Half: A Cooney Classic Romance by Caroline B. Cooney
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Often the romances themes in YA novels are about making sacrifices so you can be with the one you love. But how much is too much?

Thank you, NetGalley and Open Road Integrated Media, for this free book to review!
A high school junior finds the perfect boyfriend . . . but is he too good to be true?
Chapman High juniors Fraser and Annie have been best friends forever. They're each missing only one critical thing: the right boyfriend. Then Annie meets Price. And Fraser meets the guy of "her "dreams.
Gorgeous, sensitive, and considerate, Michael is the perfect boyfriend. Before long, he and Fraser are spending every free minute together. But that's the trouble--Fraser has no time for herself. She's starting to give things up for him, like the Madrigal choir she loves. Worst of all, she's drifting away from her friends. She feels smothered, as if she can't make a move without Michael--as if she's losing her "life." And the same thing is happening to Annie . . . "I'm Not Your Other Half" tells a story of friendship and romance, first dates and first love. It's also a novel about the choices and compromises we make, asking the question, Can anyone ever "really "be perfect?
Fraser is a fantastic heroine who I find very relatable. She loves beginning things, not ending them, and enjoys the spotlight, if only in a few short doses. And she cannot give herself completely to a guy.
frozen animated GIF
I may or may not have cheered when she released how demanding the relationship was. My only drawback about this book was how quickly Michael was resolved in the end. It felt too abrupt.
request animated GIF
I would recommend this book to anyone who feels their relationship is suffocating. I, for one, would love to read more books by Caroline Cooney.

Grading (yes, I do that now. ;) See the guidelines here.

Language: B
Violence: A
Adult content: A
Other warnings: none.

View all my reviews

8 comments:

  1. Then agian this book is probably for a female audience and im not female

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really can be for a male or female audience. Every relationship has the potential to feel draining to one or the other.

      Delete
  2. The good news is i finally found myself a girl who can stand me my writings my wildness and my crazy Goth music

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would not know how hard it is for me to find a girl who actually can stand my craziness and BS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Julie! About guest posting for my blog. Is it okay to do it on a next Wensday? If not that's fine I have other days too. ANd if you would also like to do another post on another day that would be awesome. But if your schedule tight and you can't totally fine! Thanks!
    -Ellie
    www.uniquelyyou1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wednesday the twentieth sounds good to me! I'll email you soon with more details about my post.

      Delete