Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Finding Ruby Starling

Finding Ruby StarlingFinding Ruby Starling by Karen Rivers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Goosebumps, goosebumps everywhere!

Thank you, NetGalley and Scholastic, for this free book to review!
When Ruth Quayle used a special app to search for pictures of herself online, she found dozens of images of "Ruth Quayle" -- and one of "Ruby Starling."

When Ruby Starling gets a message from a Ruth Quayle proclaiming them to be long-lost twin sisters, she doesn't know what to do with it -- until another message arrives the day after, and another one. It could be a crazy stalker ... but she and this Ruth do share a birthday, and a very distinctive ear....

Ruth is an extroverted American girl. Ruby is a shy English one. As they investigate the truth of their birth and the circumstances of their separation, they also share lives full of friends, family, and possible romances -- and they realize they each may be the sister the other never knew she needed.
Wow.... I'm impressed. Karen Rivers turned a cliche into a fun and sometimes chilling read. How could someone keep one twin but abandon the other?

What I liked:

1. The girls' voices. They each has a distinct personality. Ruby is a shy, lonely British girl and Ruth is a loud, excitable (also lonely) American girl who uses a ton of slang. Who actually says "Totes obvi"? For those of you who don't speak twelve year old girl, that means "Totally obvious". Karen Rivers did such a good job with the characters that Ruth turned out to be funny, not obnoxious.
film animated GIF
2. Finding Ruby Starling is narrated by emails, which I loved. Despite so many correspondents, it managed to flow well.

Things that were meh:

1. As much as I loved the emails, sometimes they were unrealistic. Why would a dad have to email his daughter telling her it's time for dinner? Do they live in a mansion?

2. Ruby's love-life got a little crazy at the end. PICK A GUY, ALREADY. They had the same personalities, as far as I could tell.
brave animated GIF
3. What's up with Chlophie? Are they--Chloe and Sophie--twins too? Then why was there a birthday party only for Sophie?

No matter, though. The twins's personalities were so thick yet full of fun that I didn't even mind Ruth's ridiculous slang. Would I read other books by Karen Rivers? Absolutely! Writing a story with emails was a brilliant idea. The Encyclopedia of Me is written as--you guessed it!--an encyclopedia. I have GOT to get that book.

Grading:
Language: A
Violence: A
Adult Content: A
Notes: The reason Ruth's mom gave her away is quite tragic. More sensitive middle graders might not want to read it. (I'm writing this grade section nearly a month after I read the book though, so my memory is fuzzy.)

View all my reviews

5 comments:

  1. Ok Julie. So today in computer class one if the exercises was to make a lost of 40 things about you, about your personality, about what/who you like. The practice was to type it all up on on Microsoft Word and save it. I hope the list does not have to be shown tomorrow cause it has some personal answers. The whole point of the project was to learn how to use Word. So i think I listed Julie Nahsie's blog as number 25 on the list of stuff about me and what I like. World History class is good except that the textbook that is falling apart says the world is billions of years old! LOL!! Theres this pretty blonde in my World History class . I think her name is Kaylyn and shes the only blonde in class. She stands out like a star in a night sky of unkind faces . Like there are so many unkind faces but that one girl is like a star

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! It's nice to know this blog has impacted people positively. By the way, you mention girls a lot in your comments. Make sure you don't go after all of them at once, or you'll end up with none!

      Delete
    2. I have never gotten along aorund other boys it usually ends up a fight in the making.

      Delete
  2. Lol. Right now I think I might want to try to give one last attempt to save a relationship that has been dying do to changes in schooling and other problems I have been loyal till the end but I think she wants to end it. : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a fun read! Blessings!

    http://teensliveforjesus.blogspot.ru

    ReplyDelete