Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Yet Another Jill Williamson Review: Replication

I've reviewed so many Jill Williamson books she has her own tag now. xD

Replication: The Jason ExperimentReplication: The Jason Experiment by Jill Williamson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

GoodReads blurb:
What if everything you knew was a lie? Martyr---otherwise known as Jason 3:3---is one of hundreds of clones kept in a remote facility called Jason Farms. Told that he has been created to save humanity, Martyr has just one wish before he is scheduled to 'expire' in less than a month. To see the sky.

Abby Goyer may have just moved to Alaska, but she has a feeling something strange is going on at the farm where her father works. But even this smart, confident girl could never have imagined what lies beneath a simple barn. Or what would happen when a mysterious boy shows up at her door, asking about the stars.

As the reality of the Jason Experiment comes to light, Martyr is caught between two futures---the one for which he was produced and the one Abby believes God created him to have. Time is running out, and Martyr must decide if a life with Abby is worth leaving everything he's ever known.


Because lists are all I've been capable of recently, let's have some:

Things I liked:

1. Martyr. He's so cute! He's been kept underground in a lab all his life, so he knows very little of what's above him. And he is adorable. (His thought process: I need love. Abby is love. Therefore, we need to get married. Aww!)

2. The plot. It was fast paced and left me jolted. In a good way, of course.
Community Post: 17 Reasons Why Anna Should Be Your Favorite Disney Princess
3. The writing. Jill Williamson, as I've said before, is the master. I especially loved Martyr's POV.

4. Look at this!!! You can enter your birthdate to see if you're a clone and when you're expiration date is. I'm J:32:71 and I'll expire in 1237 days. https://www.facebook.com/jwilliamsonw...

Things that are okay:

1. Abby. Something was off about her, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe her lack of relatablity? Overall, she was decent.
I+don't+have+a+good+answer..gif (500×280)
2. The ending. It was fine, I guess. Not By Darkness Hid OHMYGOSH or anything, but it was okay.

Things I disliked:

1. The story was on the preachy side. Abby wouldn't let JD in the house unless one of her friends was there, but she let Martyr sleep on the other side of her bedroom with no qualms. It's not like she could have told a clone to go sleep in the living room where someone could find him, but still. You'd think she'd be a bit bothered.

2. JD Kane. Again, something is off about him.
A Splash of Ink: Review: Every Day by David Leviathan
Insta-love alert.
3. Dr. Kane's purpose for the clones was not as grand as it could have been. I felt like you needed a larger reason for cloning other than the one that was given.

3. It's really too bad this isn't going to be turned into a trilogy as it originally was going to. There's quite a bit unfinished business going on. I might email Jill Williamson and ask her what happens. ;)

Would I buy other books by Jill Williamson? Every single one.

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I've never read any of this author's books, because I'm kind of hesitant around fantasy novels since so many of them are awful, but this looks like one I'll have to read. I'm reserving it from the library right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would LOVE By Darkness Hid! I hated fantasy for a long time, by then I read it and now I'm hooked. xD I'm just trying to scrape up money for book two....

      Delete
    2. I love some fantasy, but so much of it is dark and evil... I like writing fantasy too. Our library does not have this book, and I can't get it from any libraries in the area. I'll have to request it, but I don't knwo if they can get it... :(

      Delete
    3. Yeah, By Darkness Hid isn't exactly happy...but it sure is good.

      Delete