Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Loot (OMIGOSH)

LootLoot by Jude Watson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Whoa.

Thank you, NetGalley and Scholastic, for this free title to review!
On a foggy night in Amsterdam, a man falls from a rooftop to the wet pavement below. It's Alfie McQuinn, the notorious cat burglar, and he's dying. As sirens wail in the distance, Alfie manages to get out two last words to his young son, March: "Find jewels."

But March learns that his father is not talking about a stash of loot. He's talking about Jules, the twin sister March never knew he had. No sooner than the two find each other, they're picked up by the police and sent to the world's worst orphanage. It's not prison, but it feels like it.

March and Jules have no intention of staying put. They know their father's business inside and out, and they're tired of being pushed around. Just one good heist, and they'll live the life of riches and freedom most kids only dream about.

Watch out! There are wild kids on the loose and a crime spree coming . . .
Whoa. That was awesome. Just...gah. So very, very awesome.

The writing is taunt and beautiful. It flows poetically, yet March, the narrator, still feels like the twelve year old boy he is. He's mature. You have to be, if you're the son of a well known jewel thief.
What It’s Like To Be In College, As Told By Our Favorite Disney Characters | Her Campus
I love sleep. I really do. But that wasn't exactly a priority when I was reading this. The plot was so fast, so funny, so full of life, that even though I'm not the intended audience (I think Loot is for tween guys or something) I still enjoyed it. C. S. Lewis once said something about the audience doesn't matter as long as the book is good (sorry for butchering that quote.....) and he is totally right.

March was a terrific narrator. Sometimes he was hilarious. Sometimes he was heart breaking. All in all, he and the gang are some of my favorite characters now.

A couple of things I disliked were how March would say "Okay, let's go over the plan again", simply for the reader's sake. Yes, I want to know the plan, but it felt unnatural for him to say that. Also, Darius and Izzy had no depth. But would I buy other books by Jude Watson (AKA Judy Blundell)? YES. YESITY YES YES YES.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment