Jasmine and Maddie by Christine Pakkala
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This is a tough review to write. On one hand, I really enjoyed it. On the other hand, there were many flaws. I wish GoodReads had half stars available, because I'd rate Jasmine and Maddie as a 2.5.
Thank you, NetGalley and Boyds Mill Press, for this free book to review!
Things I liked:
1. The girls were in eighth grade. Not nearly enough books feature thirteen year olds.
2. The poetry was beautiful.
Things I disliked:
1. Everyone felt so...shallow. They all (especially Ian and Maddie) had so much potential though.
2. It's really difficult for an adult to write thirteen year olds. Christine Pakkala did a decent job, but left something to be desired.
3. Jasmine's and Maddie's voices sounded the same.
Would I read other books by this author? Maybe. If I'm looking for a light reading, this would hit the spot.
View all my reviews