Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Turning on a Dime

Turning on a DimeTurning on a Dime by Maggie Dana
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This probably would have made more sense if I were a horse person.

Thank you, Pageworks Press and NetGalley, for this free title to review!

Don't get me wrong, I love horses. But I don't understand how people can have such strong connections with them. I've been looking for a book that would help me understand that. Was Turning on a Dime that book? A little bit.

What I DO understand is that I love lists, so here we go:

Things I liked:

1. The civil war time period. Not enough YA books are set in there. So thank you, Maggie Dana. :)

2. There was only a smidgen of romance. Now I love me a romance, but it's nice to read books that also focus on something else.
30 Harry Potter Facts That'll Make You Want To Reread The Series (Again)
3. The cover is GORGEOUS.

What I disliked:

1. Girls never, EVER wore breeches in the 1860s. Ever. Even a tomboy would have been scandalized. And Caroline mentioned wearing a dress without a hoop skirt. Um, if you wore a civil war styled dress without a hoop skirt, there would be so much fabric billowing at your feet you could hardly walk.
Next time you want to travel with your Civil War hoop skirt use a Space Saver Bag (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004N80WV2?ie=UTF8=B004N80WV2=xm2=jafa-20 ). Your hotel will have a vacuum you can borrow when you leave or you can buy ones that you simply roll up.
They weren't all THAT big, but still. Tons  o' fabric.
2. Everyone accepts the time-traveling concept very well. If a stranger showed up in my bed in clothes I'd never seen before, it would have taken me a long time, if ever, to accept the fact that she came from the future. And while obviously that's not easy to do in a book, Caroline is pretty quick in coming to terms with it.
Mycroft
3. No one talked with an accent. Gideon didn't sound like a Bostonian. Caroline didn't sound like a Mississippian.

4. Are they fifteen or twelve...? Their voices felt very young.

5. Their recklessness. (view spoiler)
College Finals As Told By Harry Potter GIFs
Overall, this was a good book. But would I buy other books by this author? Probably not.

View all my reviews

24 comments:

  1. What? A dress without a hoop skirt? Breeches? Somebody needed to do more research. I hate it when authors and moviemakers don't look into period costumes enough. And yeah, I would probably throw things if some person showed up and said they were from the future. For some reason, I am guessing that the author would do the same thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it too. :) I would certainly freak out if I saw someone in my bed!

      Delete
    2. Well, they DID in fact have dresses without hoop skirts, but to see a girl in breeches in America was unheard of unless they were in disguise or if they were backwoods people or if they were stranded with nothing else, which sounds like it didn't apply here.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, Caroline's family was pretty well off, and she was only a few years younger than Scarlet O'Hara, so I was picturing very flow-y dresses.

      Delete
  2. Does not sound like the best book. If ya want a good book about civil war check out Across Five Acres it's a good civil war novel fantastic book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I ment across five aprils. It's a newberry runner up. One of the best civil war time period books i ever read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! What i wonderful day! I entertained my sis in the pool today and it was ok. Only thing is every time i tried to swim she swam behind me and grabbed my arm making me go underwater!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like fun! I love the pool.

      Delete
    2. Helping sis by doin maintenance on her blog

      Delete
  5. Right now i am listening to wild rock music and i mean it's wild!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Yep! I'm just not always able to respond to comments right away. I have to share the computer with my siblings.

      Delete
    2. Ok. If you want your own laptop i saw a IBM Thinkpad for $15 on eBay

      Delete
    3. Really? That sounds cool! Do you think it would work though? If it's so cheep, that might be because it's broken.

      Delete
    4. I checked on the laptop and it has been sold aready. It worked, just according to seller was a VERY old laptop. Most pre Lenovo Thinkpads go for $45-$175 on ebay.

      Delete
    5. You can have my sister's hand me down laptop. If i can find the parts that is. My sister's old laptop si not even compatible for windows 8. It has windows xp software. My sister no longer uses it she now always uses my HP laptop.the catch: my sister's laptop won't turn on if it is not plugged in to the charger

      Delete
  7. IBM Thinkpad are like dirt cheap used if they were made beore 2006 when Lenovo bought IBM's computer branch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also if there is a Craigslist in your area i sugets you check there.

    ReplyDelete