Monday, June 2, 2014

Suddenly You

Suddenly You (The Jane Austen Academy Series, #4)Suddenly You by Cecilia Gray
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm a little confused about this book, to be honest. Actually, a lot confused. But thank you to Cecilia Gray and NetGalley for giving me this title for free to review!

Things I liked:

1. Fanny.
She was SUCH a good heroine. While she seems more outspoken than the Fanny of Mansfield Park--with which I am only about half way done--her strong sense of morals is admirable.

2. Fanny's relationship with her mom. It's extremely realistic.

3. Tran.
How the heck is Tran a nickname for Edmund? But no matter. He was so sweet and so oblivious. Gosh. Are all boys like that? HELLO. Fanny was kind of melting without him, and he didn't seem to see.

Things I didn't like:

1. The Ouija board.
Just...ugh. I skipped that part of the chapter and still understood the book. It didn't advance the plot and the characters could have found out everything in a much less...inappropriate way. Hello people, it's not just some board game (yes, I'm a Catholic, and yes, I went to Catholic.com to make sure I had my facts straight). It's a shame such a great series had that in there.
Love Letters To the Dead by Ava Dellaira (um...deja vu?) | Notebook Sisters
2. Tran and Lucy.
Poor Lucy. She always goes after the wrong guy. And that twist at the end...it didn't fit. (view spoiler)

3. How Fanny always said she was hiding her feelings.
The way she hid them just didn't seem realistic. I felt the same way with So Into You. Is it really that big of a deal that she didn't tell everyone about the awards?
Dont. Lie. To me. - Reaction GIFs
Will I read the next book in the series? Probably. The Ouija board really through me off though. Being a writer myself, I know it won't be in the next book (if you do something once, you don't want to do it again), but still. It was unnecessary.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I hate it when good series suddenly have something totally unnecessary in it all of a sudden. (*cough Nico in the Heroes of Olympus *cough)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :P Ugh. It's the worst. And it seriously didn't advance the plot at all.

      Delete