Wednesday, April 23, 2014

How In Love With Your Story Are You?

I always get a severe bout of apathy toward my writing right before the climax comes. I've written and written and written, and the BANG moment should be happening any moment now. I know what's coming; I have an outline. And yet I lose touch with my story, and every word is draining.

How can I fall back in love with my story?

  • Take a break
Yes, I'd love to have a finished rough draft to work on right away. But sometimes you just have to stop writing and rest away from your story. I took a break from my Christian teen novella, A Kingdom of Isolation, but now I'm itching to get back to it. As soon as Camp NaNo is done, I'll take a break from To Cilyon's End, whether or not I've finished it. Then I'll hop over to A Kingdom of Isolation and resume writing that.

  • Remember why you began in the first place.
I want to be published. Guess what? I can only be published if I've written a novel.

  • Go over your characters' traits.
If your characters seem dull, try using Jill Williamson's character brainstorming sheet to liven them up. Give them traits you empathize with.

Trust me, it's worth it. As Amanda Patterson said, "Writers write". That's all it takes to be a writer. And if you're reading this post, you probably want to be one. So keep trudging forward with your novel and write!

7 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! Most of the time I love my baby, but sometimes I could throw my laptop at the wall and scream "IHATEYOUIHATEYOUIHATEYOU!!!!!", either because I'm just fed up with it, suffering from writers block or simply BORED. When I need to reconnect, I like to go on my Pinterest board and look at inspiration or listen to an inspiring song. Or I've found lately, my biggest motivator has come from food! Either cappuchino or tea makes me want to write! Btw I can't WAIT to read more of A Kingdom of Isolation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food helps? I'll definitely try that!

      I can't wait for AKOI too! I think I'll start tomorrow or the day after. xD

      Delete
  2. uhg! i know this WAY TO WELL. what i really really hate is when i'm just typing or writing along and the story gets out of hand. it just gets a mind of its own and i have no idea how to bring it back on track to get it where i want to go. it makes me so confused, i want to leave what i've written in there, but i need to get back to the story... yeah, i have one that i've been stuck in since 2011. and worse yet, i think the take a break stage is going to have to be longer... anyway, i really like the idea to go over character traits. that has really helped me stay grounded and dive back into other stories.
    love it :)
    ~Abigail
    http://sweetergetsthejourneyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could help! I know the feeling of when a story gets out of hand as well. Don't give up though! Imagine what it'd feel like to have a finished novel.

      Delete
  3. Great advice! I find that reminding myself of who my characters are really helps when I'm in a slump. It helps me get back to what's driving my story forward:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I always manage to think my characters are just blobs, doing what I say, instead of (fictional) people with lives and feelings.

      Delete