Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Why Blogs Are Necessary for Authors

I once read an article that said blogs are overused and authors shouldn't use them. I beg to differ.

I'm reading this AMAZING book right now, so of course I looked up the author. She has a blog, but...it's not that good. It has a weird, unappealing background, and she hasn't updated it in a month. In the FAQ section, she says that she doesn't reply to fan mail for months.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy? I want to talk to her! Her book is wonderfully written! She says she has to pick one: writing a book or replying to a fan.

Again, I beg to differ.

You can write AND publish a book and still have cool social media and interaction with fans. Stephanie Morrill and Jill Williamson are published authors, and they both work to keep Go Teen Writers up and running. I wish Stephanie Morrill would update her blog more often, but at least Go Teen Writers always has something going on (like a contest. :O I entered! I can't wait for the results).
It's a dancing potato!!!! I can die happy.... (GIF)
Please enjoy this dancing potato GIF while I go wait for the contest results.
I'm not saying every author should have a blog just for teen writers, because that would get very old, very quickly. The least an author could do, however, is to keep up a presence on social media, so their fans don't feel abandoned. I know it takes a while to update everything, but trust me, it's worth it. I'd probably buy your latest book simply because you blogged about it.

6 comments:

  1. Well, a lot of people are juggling a lot more than you think. Writing books often doesn't pay very well so people often can only write in their spare time and therefore have no extra spare time to be answering all their fans' numerous questions. Many of the best authors were unavailable for comment on their books until long after their works had become popular and then they had the time and ease of wealth to be able to speak on it. I know it's discouraging not to be able to get all your questions answered and it's so nice to have the author available for public comment and answer but sometimes they're just not able. Just because you and many other young writers have the leisure to do so doesn't mean everybody does. Hehe this is kind of wordy x) sorry about that! It's just that both you and they have legitimate concerns on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! The thing is, having a public presence is nearly as important as writing a book. I find that being able to connect with an author makes the book even better.

      Delete
    2. A public presence is nice, but not everyone can afford it. Not yet! Almost every writer who became famous or were able to make an entire living off their books were not open for public presence until after the books became famous. If a book is worth reading, then everything you need to know is on the inside and the rest can wait until later. A blog is nice to promote the book, and it may make the book better for some, like yourself, so therefore running a blog is certainly commendable, but it isn't necessary.

      Delete
    3. A blog in itself may not be necessary, but some form of contact is. I'm sure it's hard to make time for it, but it's so, so worth it.

      Delete
  2. I follow you on Pinterest and I found your blog, which means I found this post, which means...uh what am I trying to say here? Oh. I'm taking your advice and starting a writer blog because recently I've decided to become more serious about writing. So thank you so much for this article! It really motivated me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following me! :D Blogger's acting up and won't let me follow you, but I'll be sure to check out your blog often. ;)

      Delete