Sunday, February 23, 2014

The House of Hades

The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4)The House of Hades by Rick Riordan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Even though this book was very...blah in some parts, I was still horrified that The Blood of Olympus won't come out until Fall, 2014. I want more about Annabeth and Percy!!
#another
That being said....

Twas quite predictable. Riordan seemed afraid to cause his characters personal pain, with the exceptions of Annabeth and Percy. They ROCKED. But when Nico said that once in the House of Hades, either he or Hazel would die, I knew right away that Riordan would never kill Hazel. It turns out I wasn't right and something different happens, but still. This book certainly did not tug on my heartstrings. Now maybe I'm being too harsh; I've never had problems killing my characters, no matter how much I loved them. But whenever Riordan had a character in a tough situation, I didn't care because I knew everything would be fine.

I was appalled by the grammar, as well. Never, EVER use a conjunction after a semi-colon. And don't say "they" when you mean "the". In a published book? Honestly?
#seriously
And Nico is a creep. I don't feel sorry for him that he doesn't have a boyfriend; Percy has Annabeth! Percy NEEDS Annabeth. Riordan never says why Nico likes Percy. Just...because?
#idontcare
Also, Riordan often "told" instead of "showed". Frank said the House of Hades was scary, but I don't know why. I only know it didn't look pleasant because Frank said so. (Except for in Tartarus, when the descriptions were vivid and disgusting. Thank you, Riordan, for having Percy and Annabeth walk on an immortals heart. I have been scared by the fack that Tartarus does not have skin.)

I'm happy to say, however, that even though it was predictable and often bland, Annabeth and Percy were NOT. They're adventures were awesome. I love them to pieces! They're so strong and terrific and everything.
#freakingout
The book also was too long (you're probably thinking, "sheesh! There's no pleasing this girl!" but hang with me, please. I do have reasons). In the middle or end of the book, occasionally a character would mention something that happened earlier, and I would be like "...What?" There was so much action that I couldn't keep track of it all.

All in all, while I will definitely buy this book, I don't understand how people think so highly of it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment