Saturday, February 15, 2014

Purging the Fear of Writing

Man, I am scared to write. Yeah, I go over to one of my google docs nearly every time I'm on the computer, but as I scroll down to where I left off, I think, "This is garbage". Thus, I rarely do any writing.

But I want to write.

Over at The Write Practice, they're talking about purging that fear. They suggest figuring out exactly what's wrong, so I think I'll try.

I don't want to have to change everything from my stories. In The Princes of Ventweno, I've decided to make the twins 16, instead of 12. Thus, I seriously need to rewrite everything. I need a different plot (a REAL plot) as well. I'm afraid to write anything now because I dislike rewriting, which I feel is inevitable.

So...what can I do? If you've got any suggestions, please leave a comment and help me out. :) I'm clueless.

6 comments:

  1. I get the same way, opening the document and just staring at it feeling it stare you down. Intimidated by your own handiwork! Don't feel too discouraged! Everyone gets that way. Usually my biggest problem is feeling uninspired. I just don't know what's going to happen next. I know the ending, but how do I get there??? Meaningless chatter and events in between the major plot points, "this happened and they ate this and they wore this and blehbedy blehbedy blah." That stuff is insane and dumb and I genuinely hate wring it. BUT, if I occasionally let myself write an exciting part, then it inspires me for the "fillers". Also, just roaming around Pinterest gives me inspiration, (a picture or a random quote or a drawing). I don't even consider myself a writer because I feel like my stuff isn't good enough. But I write because I love living through my characters vicariously :) escaping into another world of drama and romance or mystery on baker street is totally worth all of it. I don't know if that helps at all but just thought I would share :) maybe just thinking of why you write will help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you're a writer, Christie! "Writers write", as someone once said. You write, thus you are a writer.
      I've found that reading a lot about writing and the like makes me want to jot some words down. It's been working pretty well. :)

      Delete
    2. Is that like "haters gonna hate"? :) and I found some super inspiring music that makes me feel like I will physically explode of I do not write while listening to it! Well I hope you know you are an inspiration to my work! You're my writing buddy!

      Delete
    3. <3 <3 <3
      What's the music called, by the way?

      Delete
  2. It's all classical-type piano (sometimes violin duets) by Brian Crain. Pretty much anything he does is amazing but my favorites lately have been Rain, Wind, Dream of Flying, Song of the Heart and Bach's Canon in D. Most of them are pinned to my secret board but I'm pinning them to public ones too now :)

    ReplyDelete