Saturday, May 25, 2013

On Writing


http://www.iris-hanlin.com/2013/05/simple-saturday-flowers.html








So, as probably most of you know, I am very, very into writing. I do it all the time, or at least think about doing it! I have a lot of friends who enjoy writing too.

Here's some writing tips that I've come up with and that I think are actually useful:


1. I found a really, really good writing prompt in this book:

                                                       Write Where You Are: How to Use Writing to Make Sense of Your Life: A Guide for Teens
                                                       Le helpful book
The prompt was to write a short poem, and then to change the verbs with verbs that start with the next letter. For example:
                                              Lay down your head
                                              On a soft silver bed
                                              The stars will shine
                                              The moon will glow
                                              And all will be quiet.
That poem now becomes:
                                             Map down your head
                                             On a soft silver bed
                                             The stars will twinkle
                                             The moon will hope
                                             And all will be quiet.


2. I write better in a notebook than I do facing a long, white computer screen. After writing something in my Trusty Notebook, I then type it onto my Google document where the rest of the story is. Also, this method works really well when my mom does not want me on the computer all day long.
                                                 I absolutely love this notebook. :) It's my favorite of all the ones I have.
                                                         Le Trusty Notebook

3. Write about your dreams. I keep Trusty Notebook by my bed so that I can write my dreams every morning. It might seem really strange, but writing material can come out of dreams!

4. If you want to write another story while you are all ready writing a different one, feel free to start another one anyway. Even if you never finish it, it can give you inspiration for your main book!

5. If people criticize your work of art, remember that they're only trying to help, not kill your heart. You don't have to take their suggestions, but it's always a good idea to consider them.

6. Drink coffee to make your creative juices start flowing. ;)

And that is all. Have a terrific day, folks!


2 comments:

  1. This is great, Jewel! I'm going to start calling you Jewel because you are a little shiny jewel. :) <3

    ReplyDelete